Winter Bike Wanted

Hi All,

Know it's still summer but on the lookout for a winter bike, my 1970s vintage Raleigh all but had it following last winters salty roads and lack of looking after.

If anyones upgrading and looking to rehome their old one i might be interested, i'm 5' 9" so something with a medium size frame should suit.

James

• 2023 Subscriptions

I bought one last year, and am very happy with it. I bought the frame, carbon fork and headset all for £150 plus a tenner postage... Had a wee look earlier and the prices are pretty much the same....

Cheers Ian

Belatedly picking up on Greg's thread;

- I bought a Ribble Winter Audax full bike in May 2008. I went for the Campag Veloce/Mirage groupset and the Campag Khamsin wheelset. The price then was £399. In the event the bike came (unhelpfully) with a Xenon rear mech and, (helpfully) Mavic Aksium wheels which I immediately swapped to the good bike. Overall, I have been very pleased with the bike and thought it very good value at the time. It was very well set up and the delivery service worked well. A word of warning: the frames make up very big - mine I think is a 54cm, which is fine, but I had to swap the recommended 110mm stem for a 90mm one to be comfortable. It came with full mudguards which are still good and I have done some limited touring with rear panniers, which also was fine tho' I wouldn't chance too heavy a load. Some of the parts e.g. brakes and chainset were 2-3 year old models, but that helped keep the prices down. Only quibbles were; the saddle (cheap Selle Italia) which had a laminated top layer that quickly separated and had to be replaced; I've never been too convinced by the plastic Xenon rear mech which can be a bit clunky or hesitant at times.

The nearest current equivalent bike is a Veloce/Xenon groupset (only the rear mech appears to be Xenon) which is priced at £614.95. This comes with a Pro-lite wheelset. Khamsin costs £27 more and Aksium raises the total price to £668.70. I haven't been looking particularly at winter bikes recently but would wonder if the Ribble full bike is still such an outstanding deal? Components & bikes have obviously increased considerably in the 2 plus years yet...

Anyway, hopefully some of the above is helpful.

Iain