FATE and technical question

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'm wondering if after all these years road racing I'm getting it very wrong with tyres and tubes. I've kicked the proverbial cat so hard I'm now over it and looking for a solution !

I've raced 5 times this year and punctured twice and my last race of last year (after broken ribs) was also a puncture. So 3 punctures in 6 races. And then I got caught behind a crash at 1km at Moscow this year on one of the few occasions I didn't puncture. Maybe its just an annus horibilis.

I use Michelin Pro 3 tyres and either Continental or Specialized tubes. Both well respected brands. I realise its probably just coincidence as all 3 were impact punctures on the pot holed roads we have. Anyone got a magic solution?

PMcD

:cry:

• Committee

Paul

Have you got a set of tubulars? That should stop the pinch punctures.

Of course if you DO puncture with no support then it really is game over but the same is pretty much true with clinchers.

I TT on tubs and just shove a can of Pitstop in my back pocket for flats. I've never used it in anger but it gives me a bit more confidence.

Or you could move to Spain

:grin:

A

Paul, the pressure may be an issue. I use Pro Race II's on my commuter (fair weather!) and found pinch punctures to be an issue. After increasing the pressure to around 125 psi, front and back I don't have the problem any more.

This may be relevant depending on the pressures you currently run at. Thought I'd mention it anyway.

• 2024 Subscriptions

Paul

defo put a bit more air in the tyres. Some may recall the spate of punctures I had with GP 4000Ss and Pro Race 3s last year in the APRs. This coincided with my track pump dying and (I think) and not enough pressure.

BTW if you do go for tubs, I raced for 3 seasons on Zipps with Tufo 215s. Not one puncture! and very light @ 200gms all in!

DG