Colin Howard

me

JohnC

John Johnstone

Chung

Kenny Christie

Kevin Habbick

Alan Mclean

...I thought Duncan had entered but don't see him anywhere on the list?

I' m now starting to really panic about this having done no more than a couple of 10TT's in the last few weeks :shock:

Have even got myself a compact for all that climbing :oops: (after all that ribbing I have given Chung in the past for not riding a 53, 39 ;-) )

My aprehension was not helped by the sight of Richard getting the miles in and powering through Helensburgh yesterday evening :rockets .

I suppose that I have at least 5 minutes at the start to take it easy before the main Joansin peloton comes charging through with the lantern rouge (Mr McLean) hot on their heels 8-)

Colin

John and I are planning to drive down in my car - we have room for one more passenger plus bike. (2 bikes on my Thule roofrack, one in the car, wheels-aff)

Anybody interested? First come first served...all I ask is that you bring a packet of biscuits (John needs his carbs)

I live in Kilbarchan and John is in Paisley. I will be heading up the A737 to Paisley, picking John up outside the David Lloyd Centre (just off the M8) then heading along the M8/M74. I can make a wee detour to pick someone up (either before or after I pick John up)...

Richard,

Can I take you up on the offer of a lift. As you are in Erskine (?) and I' am along the Georgetown it shouldn't be too much of a detour.

Will you be using a rack or putting the bikes in your car? Bit aprehensive about putting my carbon creation on a rack :roll:

Cheers

Colin

• 2023 Subscriptions

hey colin, surely no worse than a trip down fairlie way :rockets

message from Alan, he of the holiday in Girona fame, I watched the tour don't you know :uzi

anyway, I think he is looking for someone to travel down with

oh and he said he is coming to get all , what was it, those rabbits in front, yeah he is looking to finish first, he reckons he will paste you all

ok, so I may have stretched alan's comments slightly, but he did sound a bit cavendish like :grin:

cheers

duncan

I will be enjoying a sunday with the family Oh ya dancer !:shock::uziHello, beer !!:smash:angryfire:lol::-P and all the rest...

• Committee

Lovely route but too much rain for July.

The organisers couldn't help the weather but the experience was not helped by poor sign-on and the last feed stop ran out of food for later finishers.

I came off the summit in a rainstorm, pure Baltic cold at 700m, and there was not a scrap of food or hot drink at the finish summit or back in the village. Even the tiniest event usually has a smiley person and an urn at the end.

Super final hill, though.

Alan

Just thought I would give my account of events for those who are looking to do this ride next year Oh ya dancer !

After being collected by Richard and Graham bright and early we ended up missing our start times due to a navigational fault :roll: . After spending around 10 minutes at the sign on while the others in front of us dithered over their start times and numbers we eventually got underway in a group of around 5 about half an hour late.

A quick descent (7 miles) into the valley saw us passing a number of slower riders and by the bottom our group had swelled somewhat. One of our new companions was intent on pushing insanely large gears and seemed to want to rip the legs off everyone so we let him go. A bit further down the road and one of the 3 team Breeze guys we had caught had a mechanical so his mates stopped to help.

Onwards into the grounds of Drumlanrig Castle and after a bit more descending I found myself in no mans land with Richard ahead on the horizon and Graham about the same distance behind. While making the decision to wait for and work with Graham, Richards group slowed and I decided the chase was on. Once back together again we pressed onto the foot of the Dalveen Pass. Just around the foot of the main climb a goup of couriers came charging through and despite Richards suggestion that I tag on with them I declined. Some of the other members of our group tagged on and that left 3 of us to work our way up the climb (Richard, myself and another). Seeing the Couriers group a bit further on in the distance I muttered to Richard that we should try to catch them as we were closing the gap on the climb. Once over the top we started the hell for leather descent which seemed to go on forever Oh ya dancer !

After suffering into the wind and horizontal rain alongside the M74 we eventually climbed up to the first feed station to find the rest of the Joansin Posse filling their faces :lol: After a short respite we decided to crack on as it was really quite cold and all worked as a group over the Devils Beeftub and onto The Talla Wall. While Kev and I had been debating over the steepness of the hill ahead Chung had apparently not noticed and let out a number of expletives as we hit the bottom. All I can say about this section was at least I had the sense to fit a compact :oops:

A quick descent into the valley followed and Kev and I somehow edged away from the posse. This section was brutal - flat but with a really strong headwind all the way to Moffat, on roads that were really slow and although we caught a group of around 10 we were the only ones willing to work :angryfire Expecting another feed station at around 82 miles (in the middle of Moffat) we were advised by a marshall that we actually had to climb back up the Beeftub to the original feed :rockets . We ploughed on with the thought of the rolls, cake, fruit and energy bars which had been there the first time around only to find Oranges and water :cry:

Once we had all regrouped we trundled off to retrace our tyre tracks along the side of the 74. Richard and Graham pulled off the front on the descent from the feed and were out of sight by the time the rest of us hit the bottom. Feeling my legs tighten I decided to go to the front and gradually pulled away. A couple of miles on my own and I was longing for the shelter of a bunch, just as a group of 3 came by followed by a tractor Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer ! . We all jumped on and collected Graham and Richard over the course of the next 5 miles or so. Once the tractor left us at the turn for Wanlockhead Ricahrd and I tried our best to work together on the climb back to the village (Richard mostly pulling me along). At the foot of Lowther Hill he kept going but I had spotted the bannanas and cake and couldn't resist :roll:

Having had my fill I tried to crack on but words cannot describe how hard this final section was. At about 1/3 of the way I decided walking was quicker and seeing Graham catching up got off and pushed. Near the top we were passed by Kenny C, Tony and Kev all still going strong. Graham and I eventually made the finish line and were shortly followed by Chung and John C.

106 miles with nearly 6000ft of climbing in a time of 6 hours 50 mins (not including stops at feed stations) and I was totally spent :-? however there was still a couple of steep sections to get over just to get back to Wanlockhead.

I thought this was a great event with my only complaint as regards the organisers being the lack of food at the second feed. As Graham said we should have just ridden a bit quicker ;-) . My only other complaint, which would seem to be common for this type of event, would be the unwillingness of some to come through and take a turn and looking for a free ride to the end (not any of our guys I might add).

Anyone up for it next year????????

Colin Hello, beer !!

I'd echo all that colin said. Having had 2 days to recover I'd certainly consider it again. The first 100 miles was great apart from the weather but that last hill was somethin else!! :angryfire

It was just as well I was on my own on the way up it. Alan describes it as super but I'm afraid I had other words coming out of my mouth beginning with S, F and all the rest :uzi Apologies if anybody heard me but frozen stiff, knackered and blood sugar level in the negative makes you delirious.

WHO ATE ALL THE GRUB?

:lol:

Enjoyed the company and looking forward the the next run.

John

I have emailed the organiser via the "Contact Us" link on his website, as follows:

To the organiser

having done the 2009 Radar Ride I would like to congratulate you for organising such a fine event. I do however have a couple of points which I hope you will take as contructive feedback:

1. The start was somewhat disorganised. There was a pre-determined start list but it turned into a bit of a free-for-all. If I had been doing the ride on my own I wouldn't have minded but I was expecting 5 of my clubmates to be in the same group as me and some of them had not arrived at the start line by the time the guy with the klaxon set us off (7 minutes early).

Rather than using predetermined groups, maybe it would be better to adopt a more informal approach? E.g. at the TearFund sportive in May we were told we could start any time between 9am and 10am; everyone queued up at the start and we were set off in self-selected groups of 10. It seemed to work as far as I could see.

2. The lack of any food at the second feed stop (by the time we arrived there at 1650) was a bit disappointing.

I know it did actually say in the briefing document that "food supplies cannot be guaranteed" but every rider (fast or slow) paid the same entry fee. I feel that one of the justifications for paying £20+ to do a sportive is the fact that you generally don't have to carry your own food - otherwise you might as well be doing an audax.

Maybe some sort of rationing system might be in order (hand over a ticket and you get a banana?!?)

Anyway, notwithstanding the above comments I enjoyed the day and hope to be back again next year...

Thanks