Technical Problem - Reverse Gear!

Ramsay

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'm looking for some advice on serious technical gearing problems I had last weekend, both in the road race on Saturday and the early club run on Sunday.

On Saturday the problem started on the first climb, where, despite me trying several gears, I could only find reverse. The result of which was I dropped from 5th in the bunch to 75th in less than 45seconds. At the top I manged to find a gear that worked, but by the next climb I once again could only get reverse and was un-ceromoniously dumped out the back!

For the early morning run on Sunday I decided to take my winter bike, as clearly my other bike had problems. All appeared well until the Brisbane Glen climb, where I once again could only find reverse and was once again out the back! Thinking I could narrow the problems down to inclines, I also found that reverse gear engaged when I tried to sprint.

I did have the same problems earlier in the year and on many occasions in the past, but thought my regular servicing would have solved the issues. I do use a well know Italian brand of componentry and can't find anything about the reverse gear in the manual!

As the bikes have sat gathering dust for nearly three weeks (while I have been at four BBQs, and watching about 10 games of rugby, with a beer or two), I can't see how the reverse gearing problem could have occurred!

Can anybody help with this recurring technical issue?

Has anybody had similar problems? If so, how were they overcome?

Ramsay ;-)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ramsay,

I doubt I can shed any light on your problem, as I use a completely different brand of components, the Japanese stuff, and as far as i'm aware the reverse gear on this kit is a standard feature that kicks in without warning, although funnily enough it has been triggered at the start of the Brisbane Glen on numerous occasions :-?

• 2024 Subscriptions

Ramsay

It's a common problem with a fairly simple answer. Whether it be on a training run or a crit circuit, a well timed mechanical is worth considering. Punctures are good - a lap out, or your mates having to stop whilst you take a breather... I mean fix the puncture. It doesn't quite work like this in a road race or a timetrial though, but after the event a good mechanical explanation for poor performance is deinitely the done thing :lol:

After a while you'll find that "reverse gear syndrome" is a thing of the past :lol:

Puncture Pete

• 2024 Subscriptions

Ramsay

It's a common problem with a fairly simple answer. Whether it be on a training run or a crit circuit, a well timed mechanical is worth considering. Punctures are good - a lap out, or your mates having to stop whilst you take a breather... I mean fix the puncture. It doesn't quite work like this in a road race or a timetrial though, but after the event a good mechanical explanation for poor performance is deinitely the done thing :lol:

After a while you'll find that "reverse gear syndrome" is a thing of the past :lol:

Puncture Pete

• 2023 Subscriptions

:grin::grin:

Yeah, I managed to reverse into Ramsay on the Nick O Balloch on Saturday so I can confirm that everything he writes is true, I Know coz I was there.

Another strange phenomenon, why do legs only puncture on steep inclines?

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

:grin::grin:

Yeah, I managed to reverse into Ramsay on the Nick O Balloch on Saturday so I can confirm that everything he writes is true, I Know coz I was there.

Another strange phenomenon, why do legs only puncture on steep inclines?

Oh ya dancer !

• Committee

Ramsay,

This is very difficult to explain. The two days presented very different scenarios:

On Saturday you were racing against very fit, experienced, skilful, (and likely well-dressed and equipped) top club cyclists over exciting and beautiful scenery

On Sunday, by contrast, you were out with JWCC on a cafe trip to Largs. And yet the problem recurred.

You probably need another bike. Or stop riding up hills with Jim Daly.

Alan