30 milers Sunday 2nd. December

Kenny MacDonald

• Members

In the abscence of Kenny S we are looking for a volunteer to cover anyone turning up who is a newcomer and only wishes to do the 30 miles.

I will continue to organise the "Gallant forty twas" as an extentionof the 30 milers at present. It could be on a rotational basis so need not be every week ( or any weeks depending on demand)

Please post if willing to assist.

Route for Sunday 2nd. December

Track to Lochwinnoch Oh ya dancer !

Mur & Pave :rockets

Kilbirnie Oh ya dancer !

Dalry Oh ya dancer !

Kilwinning ( mini Mur) :smash

Pave :rockets

Beith Oh ya dancer !

Glengarnock Oh ya dancer !

Track back to Johnstone ,as promised a flatter run this week. Hello, beer !!

ps route subject to weather conditions and can be changed ;-):angryfire

So, will that be three groups setting off from the clubrooms then.What is going on, some new form of club bonding? I thought the 30 milers was set up to help the newcomers find their way in a bunch and then move on to the 9.30 bunch and progress from there with the challenge of longer runs. Or does the club need a bunch for each 10 mile increment.Will you be looking for someone to take the "Gallant forty twas" when a 50 mile group forms, and when do people actually move to the 9.30 group. Perhaps there could be a 30,40,50,60,70,80 milers, a TT training group(Sean will lead this group), Etape/sportive training group, RR training group, cafe group(I like the sound of that group) and muddy back road group.What about we all go out on our own, great idea!

I know the 9.30 bunch don't tend to post reports that last as long as their rides but they still go out at a steady pace for anyone wanting more than the 30 miles that the 9am group was intended for.

Donald

• Members

Donld

indeed there can 3 ,4 5 or 6 groups if required.

The 30 milers was set up by Kenny Steele to cater for newcomers/beginners and has been very successfull Oh ya dancer !

I joined in with this group as start time suits me best and I was a returnee with no form ( and still no form at present :oops: )

I have stayed with this group due to Kenny S being not available on some occassions, but have extended the runs to cater for needs of a group of riders who by their own admission dont feel ready for the leap to the big boys group :oops: . Other reason given recently has been that as 9:30 group has started a cafe stop it doesnt fit in with their time frame :shock: .

Traditionally I ran a group called the laughing group :lol: and the new 42 squad is a direct replacement for this group with the added bonus at present of it being an extension of the current 30 milers.

The laughing group always had its runs reported in a tongue in cheek way and the tradition is being kept alive under the 30/42 heading.

There is no hidden agenda or vendetta against any other groups , we are catering for the needs of a varied membership.Plus I personally dont know of anyone being turned away from any group leaving from the clubrooms.

Jim Daly has his Saturday runs as has Paul Mcd and Darryl in past plus the Wanlockhead trip etc , this variety and opportunity to choose is a welcomed aspect of our club life.

The club is thriving at present with various bunches ,activities and outings and long may it do so.

The initial post on this thread was to ensure we had a leader to cover the 30 milers and cater for beginners/newcomers.I feel strongly that we should have a leader for each group and as I cannot ensure that I will be out every Sunday and was looking for willing helpers untill the return of Kenny S.

The 30 milers is a good idea for new members and it probably got going because the laughing group was not really going out at that time. When I started in the club years ago, one of my first runs was round Dalry moores with Scottish Squad Team riders and that was not easy. Still don't think you need to have so many groups. The same thing happened last year with the Anniesland and Renfrew bunches in the winter, two groups going out on the same day with the same goals doing roughly the same thing. This winter I think they plan to join forces to make one group on a Saturday and one on a Sunday.

I don't think most would find the move from 9 to 9.30 bunch a leap, more like the next step. It is not the Anniesland or Renfrew bunch after all. No one is going on that run solely to prepare fore next years race season.

I think they only stop at a cafe when the group decide they want to and those who don't head home together, just as the Sunday bunch used to do when they would set off together and then split to go longer or shorter runs.

I know that you used to take the laughing group on Sunday and I think you would meet on the Bieth road at 9.30 for that run when the 9.30 bunch used to meet at 10. But the laughing group was really the same thing as the 30milers, new riders and people who felt the were not up to the longer runs.

But people should be encouraged to move to a harder group as soon as possible and often long before they feel they could. People often underestimate their ability and don't want to feel they are holding others back but we all started at the beginning and got better with the help of fitter riders pushing us along. When you are new to the bike, getting your first 60,70 or 80 mile ride in is a great feeling of achievement and the sooner you can do that the better you feel about yourself

I also, don't know of anyone being turned away from any group leaving from the clubrooms. Never said anyone did. I also didn't mention anything about a "hidden agenda or vendetta against any other groups", are you feeling guilty?

As far as Jim, Darryl or Paul posting about runs they want to do, that has nothing to do with Sunday runs and members will always want to contact other members if they feel like going out for a ride and want to know if others are interested

I just don't see the need for two groups doing almost the same thing.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Having not ventured out with the 9.30 group, what is the usual time of return to the club rooms and how far do you usually cover?

The 9.00 group appeal is because of the earlier start and personally I would go for the 30/42 as a hillier option generally.

'Er indoors not so keen on long Sunday rides into the country with no idea of return time

:smash

:-?

cheers

duncan

Duncan.

At this time of year the rides tend to be quite relaxed and the group generally go with flow on the day if nothing has been posted before the ride. Probably a ride of 3 - 4 hours 45-60miles or so, getting back about 12.30 -1.30. Three weeks ago the ones stopping at the cafe only got home an hour after those who kept going.This week and the one before, they did not stop.

As the spring approaches the rides will get a bit longer and harder as members will prepare for challenge rides and the like.

Its always a good time of year for those who are thinking of increasing there endurance/fitness to start with a harder group as they are easing off and then stick with them as they increase their training later on, that way you improve as they do.

Donald

• Members

Donald

I used the phrase :-

I also, don't know of anyone being turned away from any group leaving from the clubrooms.

To highlight that there is a choice for riders to pick what option suits them best.

Indeed you are right in saying :- Never said anyone did.

Just as you didnt mention the next phrase :- "hidden agenda or vendetta against any other groups", which again highlights that there is no motive other than choice for riders

are you feeling guilty?

Guilty of having the pleasure to ride every Sunday with a group of friendly sociable cyclists , enjoying the backroads of Ayrshire/Renfrewshire

guilty as charged m'lud :smash

Guilty of having had the pleasure of leading such a group on a Sunday morning for over 25 years

guilty as charged :smash m'lud

Guilty of leading my Gallant 42 squad into battle every Sunday

guilty as charged :smash m'lud

Its funny how every year if you look back at the Bunch we seem to have this recurring thread . During the summer we can have as many bunches /groups etc as we please but as soon as its winter everyone gets hit by the S.A.D. syndrome and it becomes a them and us situation.

Remember the good old days of the Garnocksiders and the spinners :rockets

If you look at other big clubs throughout the UK they have in the majority a group of ability rides every weekend to cater for all members. We are working towards this with a variety of options at present. We are a long way from achieving this goal , but our new kids club and a variety of initiatives being piloted by Renfrewshire Leisure trust with our help are going to take us further down the road in making these options viable next year.

One other valid reason for reason for not having one large bunch is when we use the cycle track, surely we all can recount at least one horror story from the days when a group of 20+ riders encountered track rage when cycling down the track.

To finish on a positive note:- it was decided at agm to have a joining of the 2 bunches once a month to facilitate social bonding etc etc

Dave McKellar has even suggested a buddy system on the day :shock:

If that doesnt get a flood of posts requesting partners what will :roll:

The 9:00am awayday for December is the 3 ferries ( as posted )

everyone is cordially invited to join the 30/42 bunch and hopefully enjoy a great day out in Argyleshire.

To quote the club motto :- Gang Forward

• Members

Duncan said :-

The 9.00 group appeal is because of the earlier start and personally I would go for the 30/42 as a hillier option generally.

what a scandalous statement :shock: surely everyone knows Kenny S only allows flat runs for the 30 milers you will get me hung :roll:

If Kenny S is reading this please note all those comments about Hills ,Murs and KOM are all fiction and just part of the poetic licence employed in reporting otherwise flat dull and boring Sunday runs.

As a frequent 30 miler who just about manages enough breath to have a conversation between Murs, with everyone else in the bunch, there are those who are happy to stay with this group for differing reasons; there are also those who do aspire to moving up to the 9.30 bunch, hence the increase in mileage to give confidence to those who want to move up, but if they all move up en masse what would happen to newcomers? Kenny Mac obviously can see the progress of these people and ultimately through encouragement and meeting up with David McKellar and the 9.30 group from time to time the step up will be made. This club has adopted a youth programme at the AGM and this form of stepping stone is ideal and necessary for what is an encouraging future. The task in hand also needs members willing to take these groups out on runs, as there could well be a number of different groups going out on a Sunday due to size of group, mileage, time, experience etc. Will you all still be there in the summer when the racing/etap season is in full swing?

Variety is the spice of life - or something like that.....

As someone who has flitted between both groups over the course of this year I can vouch for the benefits offered by both options. Personally at this time of year the magical mystery tour element offered under the guidance of Kenny Mac and his legendary knowledge of uncharted roads helps to detract from what could be an otherwise miserable time as a result of weather or just general lack of fitness due to constraints of getting out on the bike through the week. Similar rides last year definetly helped with my enjoyment of the longer rides through the summer which would have proved quite challenging otherwise, especially with people in training for the sportive events.

As with most people time constraints are a big problem for me and at this time of year with the short days and poor weather time spent with the family at the weekends is in short enough supply. Therefore the earlier start and (usually) finish times are more pratical for me. I' am surely not the only one in this position as was demonstrated recently my Martin M who, having spent a couple of weeks out with the 30milers, obviously had a longer pass and switched over to the 0930 group.

Regardless of all this, is it not the case that we will all come together for the reliability runs anyway? For some, winter rides will contribute to their ability to complete these runs and for others these will signify the start of training towards the next seasons goals.

We are all out there doing the same thing and with more than one group the public face of the Wheelers can be seen in more areas which hopefully will provide useful in promoting the club and attracting new members which can only be good for all.....

Crikey.....it's the People's Front of Judaea vs. the Judaean Popular People's Liberation Front, all over again...

To answer the question at the beginning of this post - I am planning to be out this Sunday. If necessary I will turn back early and take any newcomers etc with me. (Swing off at Kilbirnie and head back to Johnstone via Barrmill, the Braes, Spateston? Something like that).

• Members

Roll call :- 2 MacDs , Alan McL , Mullhooligan , Colin, Duncan , Tony , Bill and Ken MacD

Heading down track we spotted MacGunson out on an early morning secret training run :roll: Mullhooligan gave him some verbal :rockets as he passed by trying to disguise himself :-?

Next we saw a Scottish legend and ex wheeler Drew Brunton heading in opposite direction, good to see he is still cycling 8-)

Leaving the track at Lochwinnoch we did a loop of village as we skirted golf club and headed to the first Mur of the day :oops:

This is a nasty we climb with loads of pave and debris round every corner.The only plus was the tide was out and we didnt have to contend with a raging :angryfire torrent coming down the hill.

Mullhooligan and Duncan led over the summit with James on their wheels , whilst behind the plane crash was in full blown scale :smash

A regrouping at summit allowed yours truly to investigate loose L/h crank and bottom bracket :cry: it required major surgery and a decision to head to bike shop in Glengarnock was decided upon. So pedalling with one leg it was plan B " the view from the back" over next 2 climbs.

Cresting the summit with the backmarkers we swept pass waiting group and Bill demonstrated his elite descending style :shock:Oh ya dancer ! .

Bike shop was closed :smash so plan C was head to Stevie Flindalls.

No one at home so it was plan D head for home, that was untill ken Macd loaned me an 8mm allen key Oh ya dancer !

Crank tightened we heaed to Dalry , well as far as summit of first climb where crank loosened off again :angryfire

Plan E borrrow allen key and head for home :cry::cry:

Limped home with 30 miles under wheels , so that makes me the offishell 30 miler group for the day Hello, beer !!

As the captains armband was handed over along with secret route map to Mullhooligan we will await his detailed report of rest of run.

Although as a taster i will give a few gems :-

quote as rain reached its peak before DALRY " Can we not just turn back to cycle track " Alan McL :oops:

Dalgarven mill turn off saw a cycle speedway shoulder to shoulder left turn between 2 riders :rockets

• 2023 Subscriptions

Dalgarven:

Aye, that'l be a left turn then...pity nobody else knew about it and were heading towards the coast at speed. Colin gave a good Robbie McEwen shoulder to our leader (mark 2), I was immediately behind and contemplating death or injury as serious application of brakes did nought. Fortunately managed to swerve without hitting anything.

Still Martin had the presence of mind to take us to bottom of next short but steep one and on seeing me on his wheel steered me into large deep hole at enge of road taking the preme. He kindly told me that was the way they cycle in Flanders :-o

Anyway, ggod ride but weather could have been better.

Kenny showed great experience in loosening crank as soon as rain was seen in the distance ;-)

cheers

duncan