Look Red Cleats - Help !

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Does anyone else have creaky red cleats ? Ever since the new red cleat with white inserts came out I can only get about 6-7 weeks out a pair of cleats before they start creaking. And I find it impossible to get rid of !

I am desperate for tech advice before I ceremoniously chuck all my Look pedals and cleats in the bin with great force.

I have scoured the forums and tried the following, none have lasting success, there are a lot of others around the world with this gripe !!

- completely clean all mating sufaces - pedal and cleat - with a petrol soaked rag and thoroughly dry out - this actually works for a very short time,

- strip plates from shoe and thoroughly clean and dry the cleat - shoe interface then smear with grease,

- grease the male bolts which fix the cleat to the shoe sole,

- tried all of the following substances on the cleat - pedal contact points - oil, WD40, grease, each works for a matter of minutes.

I am arriving at the conclusion that the white compound is a lot of s...te. I hope to be proven wrong before jumping off a bridge in frustration !

thanks, feel better for that rant

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

• Members

why anyone uses red cleats is beyond me? Change to black and solve the problem. In dark ages we used shoeplates which fitted onto pedal backplate , horsed up our toe straps for no movement. All our world class track riders still strap up with double straps and look style pedals to ensure no movement. Why do people want side movement on pedals ??

As an engineer Paul surely you can see the benefit of a fixed fulcrum on leverage point.

Plus I dont wear needing movement for knee problems etc , I havent seen anything over the years to support this theory ( go on Scott D - prove me wrong)

Well, my name was mentioned :-P

I would tend to agree with you Kenny. Although the osteopath I visit occasionally would disagree :grin: In his words, my spine has grown in a particular way that means I'm very slightly tighter on the left side compared to the right (I'll beat you to the punchline Dougie... thats the side where I keep my wallet!). Theres no point trying to correct it he says, its just the way I've always been. He also suggests, if I'm feeling really stupid, I should visit one of the many ripoff chiropractor outfits in town... they happily fleece people of 25notes for 5 minutes "adjustment". Treatment which I would need forever (chi-ching) as the alignment of my vertebrae is simply a response to other biomechanical issues I have, and not the cause of the tightness. But back to the cleat issue. I find fixed cleats very uncomfortable because of the bad postural habits I have. For me its a no-no.. although for you Paul, maybe it could work. The one time I tried black cleats I found it particularly strange riding out the saddle. It seems natural to twist my hips a tiny bit (or else my technique is just crap). But see me salsa folks :lol:

like you kenny i don't see the need for red plates.i think they are a waste of energy,the way the shoe plate whackles about used to drive me nuts.grit gets in between and voila....creak-creak-creak.

i'm surprised it's still as bad paul what with the new-ish white teflon at the contact points.it's supposed to make them more durable and alliviate the creaking.

is it only one pedal?if so,maybe it's a faulty cleat.or maybe it isn't a look plate after all as there are some copies...i.e VP's cleat is very similar but only works with their pedals.

back to black for you methinks.

and well done on sunday!my crampons broke just before the nick.

good luck wi your race...i'm off to meigle for another kicking :grin: