Tub puncture

ginty001

• 2023 Subscriptions

Looking for advice... recently noticed my front tub on the TT bike has been losing air, pump to 150PSI, just before leaving house and within an hour it's softish. Checked in the sink tonight and there is a tiny pinprick on top surface, barely visible but definitely leaking air .. are these fixable or is my Tub gubbed ??

• Life Members

Iain, if it's latex tubs you've got & if it's only a tiny hole, then try a can of Vittoria pit-stops, it's a sealent you pump into the tub to seal the hole (if its small enough) its the stuff I carry when ever I ride my tubs.

Just make sure you buy the one with the right valve fitting, remember Tom in Majorca in 2013? :-)

There use to be a chap that advertised in the classified at the back of Cycling weekly magazine that repairs tubs, but as far as I know he past away a few years ago :-( Not sure who can do them now, most folks just bin them & get new ones now :-( throwaway culture & all that .......

Try the pit-stop & see how you get on!

Cheers

Chung

OK , here's an old school repair for very small punctures.

Suck up some milk with a hand pump and slowly inflate tub. DON'T inflate too hard and rotate wheel to get the milk around the inside of tub.

The idea is the milk will congeal and fill any very small holes.

The only downside is the milk stinks after a while ..................................

It's certainly not a long term solution !!

• Life Members

Iain, did a quick google search, found this site:

http://www.tubular-tyre-repair.co.uk

I've never used it before, so don't know if its good or not. :-0

I normally just bin my tubs if punctured, but in all cases the treads are pretty worn anyway, so not really economical to repair it. In more than 8 years of riding tubs (in the summer only) I've only ever had 3 punctures :-) (I'm jinxed now)

Good luck with your repair!

Cheers