Ingliston crits

thejanullrichdietplan

• 2023 Subscriptions

The first one clashes with the first of the Bella youth crits we run, so there won't (shouldn't!) be any Jets over for that. Might see some our youngsters racing there the next week, but the youth races start very early which makes it tricky for a lot of parents, given the usual state of the M8.

• 1 month later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Lots of 4th Cat entries so they are changing the format slightly and having 2 divisions of about 40 odd riders each. A sensible decision even if does mean the races are a bit shorter.

Im not sure if im in any shape to race yet but im going to be through in Edinburgh anyway tomorrow and as ive already paid the entry fee i'll give it a go. If it seems like a bad idea after 5 minutes i'll chuck it, but at least have got to know the course for the upcoming weeks.

---

Cat 4 Races :

We have had a large entry for this category and rather than return a large number of entries we will be running the Cat 4 races as a sort of Race Ladder.

First Event (this week) : We have split into two divisions

Second Event (next week) : The top 20 approximately from each Division will race in Division 'A' and the remainder in the Division 'B' race. Any new entrants will be split between the two Divisions

3rd, 4th & 5th Events : The bottom 1/3rd of riders in Div. 'A' from the 2nd week will be relegated to Div. 'B' and the top 1/3rd of riders in Div. 'B' from the 2nd week will be promoted to Div. 'A'. Again any new entrants will be split between the two Divisions.

Series Points will be awarded to both races equally in the first week. In following weeks, only Division 'A' will be awarded major points with Division 'B' riders being awarded reduced points.

(we will still have to work out a plan for new riders on subsequent weeks.

Series Prizes will be awarded to the leading positions in Division 'A'

There will consolation prize(s) for Division 'B' riders.

This should produce better racing between competitors of like ability, we hope. Any comments welcome.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Not the greatest of performances tonight as i got dropped after 15 minutes and spent the rest of it on my own or with one other rider. Managed to avoid getting lapped at least! Knee was troublesome when trying to accelerate which didnt help things but what got me dropped was my cornering - at a tight zig zag bend (tight right, tight left then tight right) i'd go into it reasonable placed but on the middle part riders kept coming up my inside then drifting across me to go into the right hander so i kept hesitating / braking when everyone else was accelerating - this was followed shortly after by a 180 degree bend and i wasnt comfortable going round that either. So for about 5 laps in a row i was off the back at this stage then having to chase back on the long straight into a headwind...i managed this a few times and got back on but by then it was the zig zag corners again and it all started again.

Got to hope i'll improve over the coming weeks as injury clears up and i get to know the course better.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Keep the dressing dry said the doctor but tonight it was pishing down in Ingliston i was in two minds about starting. Was feeling ok for the first few laps, despite it being wet i was cornering more confidentally and not losing as many places although in saying that still didnt feel totally on the pace either and was near the back of the main group. Going into the tricky 180 degree bend for about the 6th time the guy in front of me decided to quit the race - he did this by breaking and going straight on rather than round the bend, needless to say he didnt have a clue there were a few riders behind.The others could go through on his inside but because i was slightly to the right of him i had to go straight on so i would avoid him and that was me dropped. After that was on my own for a few laps bit hanging between the main group and some backmarkers, the backmarkers eventually caught me and it was a group of 4 but i was struggling by then and got dropped by them too. Towards the end the leaders were about to lap me with 3 laps remaining so i pulled over to the side thinking if you were lapped with 5 to go you were to pull out. Watched them go by and then afterwards some other lapped riders came by. Must have looked like a right idiot stopping then starting again! Managed to catch them up but didnt bother contesting the sprint. I think i'll probably be relegated to the B race next week, with my current fitness its probably for the best!

• 2023 Subscriptions

B race for me tonight and i did a bit better. Felt comfortable in the bunch, rather than hanging on the back and then getting dropped. Partly it was a bit slower although my fastest lap tonight was better than ive done in previous weeks so partly it recovery from injury and finding a bit of form and getting to know the course better as i was able to carry more speed through the corners that were giving me difficulty previously. Anyway i didnt do any work at all only moved up the group if someone attacked so i could get mark any moves if someone tried to bridge. I had no intention of bridging myself though! Last lap a sizeable group (i think about 12) still together, i moved up on the double corner before the back straight but someone drifted off their line and i had to go on the grass. It didnt slow me much but i lost a few positions so had to make my way through again through the zig zag (someone near the front was forced onto the grass here so i made up a place because of that) then by the final bend i was sitting about 5th then round the bend and into the sprint, managed to overtake one guy on the corner gap then chased down the guy in 3rd. Soon as he checked his shoulder i knew i had him :D However i didnt have enough distance left to get 1st or 2nd. Happy with 3rd, but feel i had the speed to have gone better if i'd made it through the final corner 2nd or 3rd wheel which had been my intention - but presumably also the intention of everyone else too!

There is a new feature on strava that lets you track riders that have passed the same gps co-ordinates as you on a ride, makes for a virtual race playback. Perhaps not very interesting for a crit that ends up in a group sprint but will be good to see for road races to see when winning moves and attacks are made.

http://labs.strava.c...W8IHeFvCNYFcAg=

Anyway ive typed too much - still buzzing a bit (from the race that is ive not been following the Boonen recreational activities!)

Great work Ian, you certainly looked comfortable all the way near the front of the group! Great sprint finish too :D

I could certainly have done with a less intensive rave than the Cat 2/3 one!! Your week 1 report sounds very familiar to me, I got a great start in the front few for the first corner then it was backwards all the way, further back every corner then pop out the back door! Lonie's attack on lap 1 did my cause no favours either :(

• 2023 Subscriptions

Cat 4 A race tonight, started off dry and then started raining heavy after 15 minutes which made things a bit sketchy in the corners. Pace was hard but felt ok in the bunch but as the race went on i was too far back and kept finding myself on the wrong side of people losing the wheel in front or going round the corners too cautiously and letting gaps develop as a result. I tried to get further up but it was hard to do when things were strung right out. A split happened late on with a 4 man break with a few seconds advantage then a split in the rest of the field into 2 big groups, naturally i was in the back group however managed to bridge (i think i was the only one) but it was the final lap so no chance of recovery and that was me nothing left in the tank so i ended up drifting off the back as pace quickened before the final corner and sprint. However major improvement on week 1 and 2 (last week was harder to judge if the improvement was only due to being in the B race) so feel like i am progressing however with the last race being this saturday its coming to an end just a bit soon!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Final one in the series, only the one 4th Cat race with both groups merged so a pretty big field. Managed to stay with the lead group, sometimes a bit too far back but was able to move up when needed and overall felt ok. On the final lap i realised i had made a mistake and should have made a move with 2 laps to go as it was going to be too difficult to get to the front however felt a top 10 was still possible and made a big effort to try and move up on the back straight. However someone crashed on the final corner and a couple of us had to break heavily and move round to avoid and lost a lot of ground and that was it. The riding this week was a bit sketchy - i dont mean the final corner crash as i didnt see what happened there but there were 2 other crashes earlier as a result of what was IMO reckless riding and a few close calls too. Maybe it has been like this every week and i am only noticing it now because im not hanging off the back on my own!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Meant to say in the previous post - and i dont want this to sound like im complaining i mean it as a question rather than a moan - a couple of riders over the course of the series got the points required to upgrade to 3rd Cat and were then in the main race - it looks like quite a step up and they were struggling there. However some others also have the points and are now 3rd Cat (it even has this beside their name on the start sheet) but are still racing with the 4th Cat race and as you may guess are continuing to do pretty well. Is this allowed?