Recommend me a 4 bike towbar carrier

• 2024 Subscriptions

Anyone use a towbar carrier for the family's bikes? The ones I've seen range from this which looks like good value http://www.ebay.co.u...=item417cc10492

to this rather more expensive one

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c29a2138d

I'm about to get one probably the first (cheaper) one, but before I do I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has experience of these. I'm interested to hear about:

• good brands or ones to avoid
  • issues in use
  • thing look for
  • etc

Thanks in advance

DG

• 2023 Subscriptions

I have a Thule 3 bike rack which i would recommend however it is a discontinued model.

Couple of features that ive found handy (not unique to Thule) are the quick release to attach to the towbar (basically this is a lever which can then be locked in place). Saves time and hassle as you dont need any tools to take it on and off. Another useful feature to look for is the ability to tilt the carrier while attached to the towbar (and with bikes on it) to allow access to the boot.

I have the cheaper 3 bike Thule carrier without the quick attach/release. It works well and once you get used to the screw on fixing it only takes a couple of minutes to attach.

Positives include its solidity and if you buy the desperate lock (basically a nylon cover that spins, it's a pretty secure structure to lock bikes to. I personally like the fact that you can see the bikes in your rear view mirror and that you don't have to clamp the downtube.

Downsides include the basic nature of the tilting mechanism to access the boot. This can require a bit of force to release. The nylon straps used to secure the wheels are instantly lost if you forget to secure them then drive off (perhaps more user stupidity than a flaw). Finally, good luck in getting 4 bikes on, depending on saddle heights etc I've had difficulty getting three on. It can take a bit of working out and I have had to remove or spin saddles 90 degrees in the past to get them all on.

Despite the flaws, it would still be my first choice - upgrading to the quick attach style if I was feeling flush.