Bottom bracket advice

Jodyc

Hello everyone,

I was looking for a wee bit of advice about fitting a bottom bracket if anyone can help.

The frame I have is one of the BB30 style bottom bracket and I'm looking to use my existing Ultegra hollowtech II chain set. I have bought a Praxis works BB30 to hollowtech adaptor which requires pressed in to place. This is where the problem lies, does anyone know of a cheap press that can be purchased for this or have any good ideas about how I could fashion one from existing household items (A-Team style). I have looked online and don't really fancy forking out £50-£70 to buy one as I don't see myself using it very often. I was also looking to do the bike build myself to save shop fees where possible.

Anyway thanks for reading my ramblings and if anyone can offer advice I'd be eased to hear it.

Thanks Jody

I normally do every job myself on the bike - quite enjoy learning new mechanical skills.

However, with a press fit BB, the consequenses of getting it wrong could be severe. I imagine this is a carbon frame?

This is probably one of those times where popping it into a bike shop is money well spent.

I note the link Chung posted had a comment to the effect that the press fit could be achieved by bashing them in with a mallet - not recommended. Assuming you had suitable drifts you could make a press simply enough by using a bit of screwed rod to replicate something like below, but you would also need to be able to determine when a suitable fit is achieved to avoid excessive compression.

http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m8b268s496p22486/WHEELS_MANUFACTURING_Consumer_Bearing_Press_W_O_Drifts/RS_GB?gclid=CPCvro2ekLwCFXGWtAod5w0Acg

Note the above comes with the disclaimer that I have not had the pleasure of press fit BB's yet so have no actual experience of fitting/removal.

Take care and if you do take it to a bike shop my advice would be to avoid the big lifestyle stores and find someone who knows what they are doing and takes a bit of pride in their work - too many hammer chuckers masquerading as mechanics in the other places.

Davie

Thanks for the info and tips guys. Like you Kenny I'd like to be able to build the frame from scratch but yeah it's a new carbon frame so don't want to cause irreparable damage to it.

Might shop about and see who would fit it for the best price for me.

Thanks again Jody

• 2023 Subscriptions

Jody

I likewise enjoy doing everything myself but do not have a press fit BB frame.

Only thing I might add is that I have changed many sealed bearings on Ksyrium wheels. Technique I use is to freeze the bearing literally in a freezer for a few hours, pour hot water over the aluminium shell then it almost falls right into the seat, can push it in most of the way with hands only then a few gentle taps. Grease the housing beforehand as well.

The stakes are higher with a carbon frame and there is not the same opportunity to expand the housing with heat. However you could try freezing and seeing how freely it goes in. It will be critical it is fully seated correctly as any misalignment will lead to accelerated bearing failure.

Proceed with caution if you do try it.

I accept no liability :)

Thanks Paul, the bit that scares me is my wife finding bike parts in the freezer 😱😱😱 I remember my mum going off on one when I was younger as I emptied 2 shelves of her freezer to put my BMX Skyway wheels in to straighten them out 😂😂😂

• Committee

As per Davie's post I have a headset press made from threaded rod (B&Q) with big washers same diameter as outer casing of bearing. Worked very well.

The lovely workshop tools use exactly the same principle but use nice butterfly nuts instead of a couple of ring spanners.

Make sure all the pressure goes on outer case of bearing, loads of washers on ebay to ensure correct diameter.

PM if you would like to borrow it.

Alan,

Thanks for the advice, I had ordered the press that Chung listed on his post above. It was only a couple of quid on eBay and sounds kind of similar to what you made out of bits from BnQ. I also ordered the proper FSA BB30 press plates from chain reaction cycles, they had them reduces from £15 to £4 so thought I wouldn't go wrong.

Think I'll get all the internal cables run(apparently this should be done before BB is fitted) and once the press and cups arrive I'll contemplate doing it myself then give in and pay a professional.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice and tips

Jody