Glasgow nightingale cat 3/4 Wosca race

Colin McPhee

A good day for a race after a cold start to the day had about 10 layers on at the start but paired it down as the temperature had come up. First lap felt comfortable pace not too bad and coping well with the accelerations. Paul got off the front on Flanders moss looked like a good move so I moved to the front and tried to block but the bunch were in no mood for hanging about and they reeled him in. After that I did some sitting on wheels but sat too much and was wrongly positioned for the left turn up towards arn prior. To add to this had to make a sudden move to avoid a car which was waiting at the junction and slipped back about 10 places. Realised I would have to chase back on and new that with short climbs coming up I was in all sorts of trouble. Made it to the end of the section but has burned too many matches to cope with the pace increase at this point and dropped off the back.Almost got back on but was actually probably hindered more than helped by the cars at the back of the bunch and joined up with another two guys to finish off the lap. Not too disappointed though with a bit of luck it could have been a different story well done to Paul for being active on the race and finishing well up and to Richard for going the full distance with the bunch !

• Members

Sadly not quite the full distance, Colin. :-?

I sat at the back all the way round the first lap - you know, the way you're not supposed to. It seemed like a good idea - nobody was really struggling so there was a nice tail to the bunch; there were a few well kent faces at that end of the race, too, and every attack was reeled in before it got started. More to do with the wind than rider diligence, I think!

Folk were actually chatting to each other first time out to Flanders Moss! This all ended - as Colin has said - on the road from Arnprior to the Port second time around. Groaning all around, smiley faces turned upside down and lots of folk deep into the red. Touch and go for a while whether I'd hold on, but I managed it and was firmly attached to the group as we headed to the Rob Roy.

Second time up Flanders Moss and the split that everyone was expecting didn't happen. A few riders went out the back after a surge in pace near the top of the drag, but no actual break in the field.

So, through Ballat Toll and feeling all right, if a little tired. Imagine my surprise when I got out of the saddle on the rise up to the Blane Smiddy roundabout only to find that my legs would not support my weight. I fell onto the saddle (accompanied by a rather amateurish wobble.) Cramp like I've never known before - I wouldn't have thought it possible to even keep riding - but ride I did and I was still on the back of the bunch as we went up the climb into Killearn. Nauseatingly, with two downhill miles to go, this is where I came unstuck. The bunch was about twenty yards ahead as we turned at Killearn. Richie Provan chased with me to try and get back but the race car was into the gap pretty sharpish and there was no way we were getting round that.

So, a bit of a disappointment to watch the race take the last bend (almost) within touching distance, but I'll settle for a finish 10-20 seconds down on the winner (if it turns out to be more than 30 seconds I'll be furious!) 8-)

Great race, well marshalled, and to my mind at least, a field of about 40 is ideal for those narrow, busy roads. It felt safer and less frantic than my previous WOSCA outing this year.

Chapeau to Colin and Paul. You can take your pick of average speeds for the race on Strava - about 23-24mph seems typical. It was not easy at all, and how Paul managed to stay in the bunch after his attack at Ballat Toll is beyond me. Keep your legs ticking over for another fortnight and ride Bute! ;-)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Weh heh another fine road race. A bit shorter than usual with the shorter loop of Lake of Menteith covered 2 times then up through Killearn to finish in Balfron. Colin, Richard and I were there for some late season road racing. To follow Colins report I had a rush of blood on Flanders Moss as I wont be racing for a bit and decided to have a dig. Got joined near the top by Barry McGurk and duly had to grovel to get his wheel. We 'enjoyed' a wee sortie off the front for a few miles however it proved short lived and sore!

1 mile from the finish was the stiff climb into Killearn and it has been a lot of years since I rode up there on the big ring. Every time I went to click down someone jacked up the pace so it ended up a flog fest.

Anyway got to finish in lead group and ended up about 15th on uphill finish into Balfron. Richard was just behind after losing contact by a few seconds on the Killearn climb and Colin followed up after his unfortunate delay just before a particularly testing section.

:)