Arthur Campbell Memorial RR

Gummers

• 2023 Subscriptions

After the race I'm standing in whitecraigs rugby club looking at a flask, tea bags, milk and sugar. I can't figure out how to use any of them. The start was on the Dams climb. Where the ramp starts. Into a head wind. The neutralised zone wasn't very neutral. My strategy was stay at the front on the climbs. Make sure I'm at the front for the Clunch then recovery on A77. First lap all going swimmingly and I'm on the front when a land rover turns up on the Clunch squeezing the bunch and dropping a bunch of guys. With a smaller main bunch going onto the A77 there's a break and the main bunch get irritated and lively. The pace ramps up so plans of recovery are generally screwed. Back onto the dams all is well, even manage to drop my chain and get back up the front of the bunch. I go into Clunch in first position and the climb is less arduous than the first. The breakaway is getting organised. Pace ramps up again going onto A77 and by the time it reaches 36mph I'm out of any place I've ever been in my short life in racing. I'm off the back. After that its a salutary lesson in putting the head down and getting on with it. Finished 17 minutes of the winning time in 32nd place out of 60. Guys retiring everywhere so anyone finishing gets a chapeau! Rest now ahead of Wednesday nights return to the same circuit.

Bad day at the office for me. My feelings of getting anywhere into a headwind as Andy described didn't inspire me with confidence at the start and I hung back waiting for I don't no what. The narrowness of the road in the neutralized section meant I couldn't move up and knew I was in a plumb poor position. However was hanging in at this point and feeling ok. Had a better plan for the clunch this time and attacked it with far more purpose than before and was going up it with much more energy and was passing others but as I had thought when I had to ground to a halt because of a land rover too many riders got away and I knew it was game up. Worked with some others from East Kilbride Road Club one of whom chucked it after one lap, but the headwind on the dams climb made it unbelievably hard in a small group. Thoughts of having to do it another twice had me nearly climbing off the bike but managed to talk myself out of it and soldiered on to finish when many others gave up. A truly hard day on the bike but another step closer to finding form :icon_yes

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Don't know what you two bozos are on about, I rode up the dams & clunch today.

I was motoring. Someone shouted "forza Fabian!" as I shot past.

Yep. I would have won today.

No doubt.

You both need more beer & fritters in your life :)

Well done guys :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Cheers George! You've stopped your meds again eh?

Chapeau Colin. I reckon at least 15/20 guys climbed off their bikes today!

Paul, looking forward to seeing you back for Wednesdays race! Will we bring a wee bottle of vino for you to take the edge off the dts?

Andy