Choosing your teeth

Gummers

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi folks!

i've reached that stage in life where the very important question of choosing teeth has now arrived and I'm looking for some advice.

What the best front rear combination for front chain ring and cog. I found the combo on the hire dolan's a bit light and looking for advice for a track beginner who is well used to riding fixed.

Andy

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Hi folks!

i've reached that stage in life where the very important question of choosing teeth has now arrived and I'm looking for some advice.

Andy, it's the price you pay for eating so many sweeties as a boy :-P

I ride 49x14. I think the hire bikes you have been using are 49x15.

It's all a matter of individual cadence preference. I use bigger gears than most on the road so I don't feel comfortable spinning a wee gear.

Does this mean you are buying a new track steed?

• 2023 Subscriptions

That is most helpful in choosing new steed. Thank you gentlemen.

I was tettering between 49/14 and 48/14. My Surly is 49/13 and that is definitely not for the track.

I would never have thought George and Billy were biologically related but evidently (and undeniably) they are!

Andy

• Committee

49*14 but I am still pantz. :icon_yes

Cogs are a tenner so it is is worth getting a 14 and 15 and trying both.

I cannot believe anyone other than professional racers can tell the difference between a 48 and 49 chainring but here comes someone with a different opinion.....

(They will be wrong Ohyadancer! :banana )

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi All

Thanks very muchly for all the helpful comments and craic. I've learned about new phenomena (funny cadence), scary genetics (Billy and George) and that one cog is never enough. Going for 48/14 but purchase of 13 and 15. Now, which bike....hmmmmm

Andy