Advice on winter tires

Jodyc

Hello again a bit more advice required on tires this time.

I have been using Specialized Armadillo all condition tires throughout the winter for the past couple of years. The problem is that the tread has completely peeled off the rear tire exposing the cords. This has really put me off buying the specialized again as it has certainly struck me as manufacturing defect.

Can anyone reccomend a decent winter tire that offers pretty good grip and puncture protection for a fairly decent price.

Thanks Jody

• 2023 Subscriptions

I have used loads of different tyres over winter.

I often just ran the Michelin Pro 3 right through the year, although they are not as puncture resistant as true winter tyres.

I then spent a few winters on Michelin Krylon Carbon, which have a bit more punture resistance.

The last two years I have been on Bontrager Hardcase, which seem very hard weaing and I have not had any punctures! (From memory about £18-£20 from Dooleys)

R

Thanks for the reply guys,

Ramsay/Ian I like the look of the Bontrager and may give them a go. Seems like a pretty decent price as well. Billy the Ribble site said the frame and muddies I have won't accept a tire bigger than a 23. I know it's really fine margins but don't want to order one and find that it will be rubbing.

Richie with all the pot holes on Kilbowie road on the way to the office not sure I'll risk the gatorskins ;-)

Thanks again guys just need to find where it's the cheapest and find somewhere local to price match

Jody