Tour O' The Borders - 14th April 2013

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

update from organisers today.

Just a note to let you know that entries for this year's event will be closing at midnight on Friday 1 March, or if we get to 1000 riders before then - which is very possible as we're heading that way now!

It's looking like a great turn-out so it should be a great and busy event with lots of bikes out on the road, so if your mate hasn't entered yet, tell them to get on with it quick.

Thanks for now,

The Touro team.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Guys,

I got an email from the organisers.

They are allocating start times and if we want to start as a group we have to inform them.

I was thinking about 9:00 am start. I will submit names if you agree Please confirm. Irate Pirate - I need your real name.

Registration is Saturday afternoon or Sundaty 6:30 - 8:30. I was thinking about just driving over on the day but could be persuaded to stay the night before - might be a bit late to find accommodation.

What are others planning? Sharing transport?

Alan, I-P can I have your mobile numbers please by personal message.

Paul

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sounds good Paul.

I now have a small campervan so will be going down on the Saturday. It Will sleep two as it has a rock n roll bed and a raising roof bed. Plan to get a drive away awning style tent at some point which would make it good for four.

Alan we could use this for Mull.

Tom

• 2023 Subscriptions

Came off at the velodrome on my new birthday bike. Other than an absence of a few skin layers, I felt okay, so thought I'd have a couple of laps to loosen off. Only when I tried to remount, on trying to lift my left arm to the fence to on my bike, did the searing agony in my left shoulder give me a clue that something other than the faint smell of burnt flesh was amiss.

Not too happy at the moment, but should be on road by the end of the month. Tried turbo today and was still a bit raw, so I'll have a few days off before trying again.

C'est la vie!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

The worst 3.5 hours I have spent on a bike!!

Judging by the number of unclaimed numbers when registration closed a lot of people just didn't bother turning up. Should have been a 1000 riders

Me, Iain C (riding under his nom de biciclette of Tom Hill), Graham and Alan set off at 09:00 from Peebles into the teeth of a gale. By 6 - 7 miles was soaked to the skin and shoes full of water. At that point we were going well in decent bunch until the guy in front and to the left of me clipped the verge and went dowm. I swerved to avoid him but he brought down Graham (and Alan?). Waited up the road with Iain but no sign of Alan and Graham, so, thinking they had gone back, we pressed on up the first climb.

Total nightmare! Climb long but not steep but into 25 - 30 mph wind gusting to 45 and lashing rain. Rivers running down the road!

Had to pedal hard down the other side to get the bike speed up to 8 mph!

Couldn't even take a drink - didn't want to take one hand off the handlebars!

We saw a lot riders heading back to Peebles who had just given up after 10 miles.

But we of the JWCC are made of sterner stuff.

Was losing the will to live at 20 miles but consoled myself with thoughts of Majorca in two weeks!

Got to the point where the long course diverged from the short one but were advised by the marshall that the road half mile down the road was badly flooded.

Went to have a look.

The Ettrick had risen and flooded the road for about 60 - 80 m. Current was very strong and gale force side wind that nearly knocked me over. Water thigh deep so decided not to risk it. Everybody turned back except for one lunatic who picked up his bike and waded across. At this point met up with Alan and Graham who had lost a few spokes in the crash.

So we had to content ourselves with the short route (50 miles) Eventually we had the wind behind us so a fast return to base with a few more climbs (totalled 3500 ft).

Half an hour from Peebles the rain stopped and sun came out!

Someone had put the whole route in as a Strava segment and it appears I was 23rd of 168 (of those who were Stravering) with an average speed of 14.9 which was surprising!

On a nice day it would be a great run - very scenic. Next year it is going to be a closed road event.

Definitely needed the beetroot juice today!!