Hello, and, er.. help!

ebish

Hi

This is my first post, and it contains a request for a little advice and/or encouragement…

After a good few too many years wasting my life drinking too much and not cycling enough I’ve decided, at the age of 34, to swap the two about.

By a meandering route I happened upon the wheelers forum, largely because I see so many club members swish past my house in Bishopton of a Sunday.

I’ve been cycling on my own on the roads and trails of Renfrewshire on a Specialized Crosstrail which I had initially bought for the wee commute to the train to work. But after a while, I figured that because most of my solo non-commute riding seems to happen on the road I may as well take the leap and get a decent-ish road bike and see if I could hook up with people that might encourage me to really get going, get fit, get fast and hopefully also have a laugh.

So, I’m thinking of getting myself a 2012 specialized secteur sport. If anyone wants to warn me off that, that would be super, because I’m planning on coughing up for it this week. It will be my first ever road bike. Will I notice a difference?

If nobody minds it’d be great to tag along on the next 30miler too to see how I get on….

Thanks,

Ewan.

Hi Ewan,

Welcome along. Hello, beer !!

No personal experience of that bike but I've read good things about it on the Bike Radar forums.

You will notice the difference going to a road bike?

Do you have the helmet/shorts etc to match?

What about pedals etc?

Can be quite an initial outlay that some folk don't factor in to their budget.

As you've mentioned the 30milers, you've obviously read the Club Runs section so keep an eye out for the runs and come along Oh ya dancer !

Thanks mate.

Yep, I've already got basic helmet and clobber which will have to do for starting out.

Pedals, though, I'll need to sort that. I was budgeting about £100 for a decent pair of pedals and shoes.

I've been bashing through a good few early morning and evening runs for that past wee while on my own to try and get in shape for the new bike... cannot wait.

E.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Ewan

Welcome!!

I have been a Specialized aficionado until very recently. I have just upgraded from my Roubaix Expert SL 2010, (which is now for sale - slight plug. I haven't gotten round to posting on the forum yet as I have only had my new steed for 3-weeks. if interested let me know - 56cm frame size ).

Anyway, I also have a Tricross Sport and an Allez, on each of which, I have covered many hundreds of miles. I cannot fault the build quality or indeed the kit on any of these. So the Secateur is unlikely to differ in that respect. On a road bike you will notice a huge difference - faster for the same effort. On moving from an aluminium frame to carbon there is also a noticeable improvement in energy transfer, especially noticeable on hills or hard efforts. For the most part you get what you pay for. Higher price better smoother operating kit.

Tom

Welcome Ewan,

I started out on the Specialized Allez and as Tom states they cannot be faulted for value for money, perhaps even more so as you're going for a higher spec.

I just invested in some new pedals and shoes and I was also on a tight budget.

I bought Shimano 105 pedals online from Evans as they as £14 cheaper than in the shops at £40 - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/pd-5700-105-spd-sl-road-pedals-ec023219.

I also bought my 2nd pair of dhb cycling shoes from Wiggle, and I cannot fault them, although I haven't tried any other shoes so cannot compare. Anyway, they're on sale just now at £45 - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-r10-road-cycling-shoe/

The pedals come with cleats and they are compatible with the shoes from Wiggle.

Happy cycling!

Allan

Gents,

Thanks for the welcome.

Greig: I'll see you on the next one.

Tom: I think you're probably talking a little bit above my price range for the Roubaix... it is the right size for me though... (tempting...) but I reckon as I'm new and pretty inexperienced I might be better with the warranty and stuff that comes with buying new. Secteur v Allez is a debate I keep having with myself and my very patient good lady... I'm leaning towards the Secteur because it's a slightly more comfy set up which will probably suit what I'm aiming to do, which is put miles in and get in proper shape, but I change my mind about the Allez every time I think about it. Budget including pedals and pair of shoes is hopefully somewhere south of £800.

Cheers again for the welcome and see you out there at some point soon I hope.

E.

Hi

Firstly don't stop drinking just balance the drinking with the cycling re bikes big manufacturers like the one you are thinking of you pay a premium for there frame which results in the other bits being not so good have a look at both rubble and planet x along with Dolan also consider pre owned or even large chains like Evans ask for pedals to be included haggle its a buyers market

On a personal note only buy a bike with campag the rest is just poor imatations

Hello Ewan,

Welcome along. You will enjoy the runs and the 30 milers are a really good bunch to go out with.

Billy mentioned Ribble and I must say I have been really impressed with mine, buying from Ribble will let you pick your finishing kit. I would say go for the best frame you can get for cash, you will have to replace parts due to wear and tear so if it's going well and you're enjoying the cycling you can upgrade the finishing kit when it's required.

Don't be put off by the shimano/ campag/ SRAM statements. It's all really your own preference. I have shimano on my bikes and haven't been let down(Ritchie Cross cant even bring himself to say shimano though :shock: )

Also for pedals never discount eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-PD-57 ... 2682wt_982

£30 for brand new shimano 105 pedals(delivered). I've bought a couple of sets and cleats and they are an eBay shop and really good to deal with.

Anyway I've prattled on enough, happy bike shopping and hope to see you out soon Oh ya dancer !

Jody