Power Meter Advice

Ramsay

• 2023 Subscriptions

Looking for some thoughts and advice on power meters etc. While I know there are advantages to training with a power meter, I have a few practical issues.

What is best hub or cranks? Or is there something else.

If I go for a hub, then I guess I would need to pick the wheel carefully, as I would want to race and train on it, unless I get two! :shock:

If I was to go for cranks, I guess I would need to move them from bike to bike, to allow me to train/turbo and race, unless I again got two or more! :shock:

Has anyone got any clever ideas for doing this on a sensible budget?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

R

Are Look and Garmin not bringing out pedals with strain guages?

The garmin ones were due out now but have been put back until November as they weren't happy with them.

A company called Brimm Bros are also working on a strain guage that goes between your cleat and shoe. Dunno how that works.

I imagine all of the above would be more portable than the cranks.

I did see someone selling powertap hubs on Braveheart recently, might still be there.

Some people have had issues with the weight of powertap hubs in the past but I think

there is a lighter one out now.

For the "record" cycling weekly did a section devoted to power cranks etc recently.

The campag super record srm cranks with srm handlebar computer retail at circa £4500. :oops:

There is usually an advert towards the back of the cycling weekly for srm hire, might want

to try before you buy.

I have no interest in confirming how little power I'm putting out anyway :lol:

Cheers,

George.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ramsay

An alternative thought would be to get a turbo with power meter, obviously can only use for turbo sessions but easy to put any bike on it. Strict power intervals are really only possible on a turbo as the road varies too much.

Just some thoughts

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks all.

Sounds like there is no cheap option, which I had kind of figured anyway! :-(

I do like Paul's idea of the turbo with with the power meter, not that I like the turbo, but it is a necessary evil of a long winter!

Can anyone recommend a good turbo with power?

Cheers,

R

P.S. - less than two months before the comeback starts! :grin:Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

Ramsay

The taxc flow range and above have power new cost is about 350

The more you spend brings more options mine allows me to plug into lap top which automatically adjust the power or slope bit dearer but owns up viirtual reality and real life video

Stops it being so boring

• 2023 Subscriptions

R

I have a TACX flow you are welcome to try. Got it for about £200 on ebay.

Don't know how absolutely accurate the power is but dosn't matter as it is repeatable from session to session.

Reads power, rpm and all the usual computer functions. Has very large range of magnetic resistance - I do full sprint intervals at resistance setting 4 and it goes up to 8 - might not be high enough for you though :grin:

You can sprint out the saddle and it is stable.

Oh ya dancer !