Advice needed - chain rivets

AllanC

• Members

Hi, Allan. When you split a chain, you drive the rivet outwards - far enough to break the link - but not all the way out of the side plate. Putting a loose rivet back into a chain would be very, very difficult. So to answer your original question, no, you won't need spare rivets. Hope that helps.

Allan,

If you have KMC, Shimano or Campag you should be able to get KMC "missing" links to suit - this makes splitting and rejoining chains easier.

If you are miles from nowhere and your chain goes pop then a chain breaker plus missing link in your back pocket is something of a bonus.

D

Cheers Davie.

I have a basic Shimano HG-73 that came with my Specilaized Allez a couple of years ago. I just wanted o get it off to give it a good clean, but I'll maybe look into the links you refer to to make life easier in the future.

Cheers

Allan

It's worth finding a multi-tool with a chain splitter for when you are out and about. If you break a chain and have such a tool and spare links (not expensive and can be got from most bike shops) in the wedge pack you can repair the chain to get you home.

Also necessary for when the chain stretches to the point that it will knacker the rest of the gear and needs replaced.

Len