directions to Musselburgh

ginty001

• 2023 Subscriptions

Folks,

i'm going to be cycling from Bishopton to Musselburgh at some point in the coming months, have only ever been in a car (M8), dont suppose anyone's got a decent road route for this journey ? What about the Skyride Glasgow-Edinburgh route, does anyone know what route that takes ?

Cheers

Ian

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ian - my sister lives there, so I've done this a few times. Depends how many miles you want. I've used a different route each time.

Marginal preference for north of the M8: Airdrie, Caldercruix, Bathgate, Broxburn, Kirkliston and then round the back of the aiport and into Edinburgh via Cramond. Then just along the shore to Musselburgh. (From Bathgate you can make it scenic if you have the time - Torphichen, Cairnpapple Hill and descend north to Linlithgow or east to Winchburgh)

Or south. Through the east end of Glasgow to Bellshill then the A775. High road over Harthill and then on to the roundabouts of Livingston. Then through the Calders and into Edinburgh on the A71. Cut through the middle of Edinburgh (stop for pint in Grassmarket) and then Holyrood park, London rd, Portobello and ice cream at Lucca's in Musselburgh.

Think the pfs route goes south from Glasgow through Lanarkshire before heading east?

One of the routes i cycle through to Kirkcaldy takes me over Erskine bridge, Milngavie, past Murray Park, Kirkintulloch, Kilsyth, Falkirk, Linlithgow, towards Forth bridge, you would then make for Crammond and along the South side of Forth onwards to Leith, Portobello and Musselburgh. Plenty nice coffee shops in Linlithgow which would probably be about half way.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Harthill +2

experienced one dark winters night trip through darkest North lanarkshire north of the M8, think Blair's Witch project. Next time Govan and as Alan says Celtic Park, i prefer Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome :grin: and then Bellshill, up to Shotts and then fly down into Livingston, short trip on A71 then short trip south through kirknewton to A70, colinton, fairmilehead, gilmerton, dalkeith then straight on to Mussleburgh. Much quicker in a strong westerly Hello, beer !!

Here's my New Year's day ride through to Pencaitland but could have turned off to Mussleburgh at Dalkeith.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/138388973

Have a good one

duncan

• 2023 Subscriptions
Harthill +2

experienced one dark winters night trip through darkest North lanarkshire north of the M8, think Blair's Witch project.

Wild west more like. I swear there's a sign that says "Welcome to Plains. A handgun-free town"

Don't wait for the 30 sign to start your sprint :roll: