Strathpuffer report wanted!

martin

• Committee

Hi Martin

Duncan and I took part in a quad team at this well established 24 hour MTB race just north of Inverness.

The latitude and date ensured that 18 hours of the race was in darkness.

The route was an about 11k on fire trails, smooth swoopy singletrack, rocky slabs & rubble, and, of course, mud. It was all rideable but a bit sketchy at times at 4 in the morning with no sleep. Red run standard.

The organisation was excellent with marshals around the course tending braziers and pumping house music into the rain and wind.

We parked up the rv alongside the trail which allowed us to handover the timing chip on the course. A bang on the door was the signal for the warm, dry guy to take over from the wet, cold one.

There was a great atmosphere with rv's, tents and pop-ups lining the route, some with fairy lights, and humming generators and music playing throughout the forest.

We cycled through the night, aiming for minimum 24 laps and pleased with 27. Only two punctures and no mechanicals. No time to sleep: ride, clean, eat, rest, dress, ride etc. We were 21st out of 58 in category, but humbled by the team of 14 year olds who won with 33 laps. Chapeau also to the fantastically tough solos and pair.

Weather was kind, warmish, bit wet.

Super event. timing very professional, just google strathpuffer for infinite analysis. (we're veloslugs)

Doable as a quad but needed a lot of logistics. Thanks to all club members who lent bits of kit.

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions

14 years old :shock:

I only saw a bur and a whir of gears as they flew past me lap after lap after lap, phenomenal performance, chapeau

Did manage to pass the guy on the Surly Pugsley though

Alan usual duracell bunny, pumping out fast laps, getting us up the leaderboard only to be dragged down by the rest of us ;-)

I need to sleep for a week now

duncan

• Members

Well done Alan & Duncan

conditions were favourable this year ,last year we had a couple of broken bones due to severe ice.

Great carnival event very well organised , we had two teams again this year 7th and 30th.

You have to be mental to ride this event so it will suit you fine Paul LOL

We have had solo , double and quad teams in past couple of years but I have managed to avoid taking part so far , will try and get over to it next year if JWCC send up a squad.