Lights

Colin H

Feel the need for a rant:

On my way to and from the Braehead clan game tonight I saw several cycle commuters. No bad thing especially as I do like a ride in the dark from time to time. What really got up my hump was not 1 of them had a decent front or rear light.

As keen cyclists ourselves I feel that if we know people who are commuting in the dark we should be promoting the purchase of the best lights that can be afforded. Silly wee flashing led's are all well and good as supplementary lighting but should not be used on their own.

You never know, you might just save a life.

Rant over!

Colin Hello, beer !!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I can recommend these front lights. Cheap and chearful. Available on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-WINTER-LE ... 0889836131

They are pretty good for the money. Only £12.95 and that is for the pair! The fitting is better than shown in the photo (The clamp screws do not stick up as they are shown). Simple to remove and the clamps could be used with many ordinary torches as well. I have one on my bike at the moment and will fit the other soon. ok for cycle track and tracks you know but not sure about using them in an area that I was unsure about.

For more about lights, have a look at the "regular mountain bike rides" topic in the CX/MTB forum.

James

• Committee

Too bright really for busy roads. Twin lumicycle led 4's with exposure head torch, cat eye 1100 and smart flasher on rear.

Just my usual plug for lumicycle. I posted my worn out charger (broken lead) to them on wed 2nd and received it mended today, fri 4th.

The technology is now at the stage of seriously needing a dipped headlight. Some of the German lights do this. Going downhill on dark roads I still like every possible lumen but it needs modulating for oncoming traffic.

But it will be absolutely no holds barred for Strathpuffer! 11k MTb route in midwinter! Full throttle!

Alan