Galashiels audax 9th Oct

There is a 200km (125mile) audax on 9th October at Galashiels, covering the eastern borders and venturing into Northumberland. John and I did this same event about 4 years ago. Nice roads. Not too hilly if I remember.

Just wondering if anyone might be interested in this - a last century ride to round off the year. It's an area that's off the beaten track - not covered by any cyclosportives that I'm aware of.

You can find a bit more detail here:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/

...if you enter in advance you get the "brevet card" with full route details on it. Entry is only £5 so if the weather forecast is rubbish you won't feel too bad about cancelling your plans.

It's an 8am start so you need to be leaving Johnstone about 0630 at the latest.

I would be up for this. Problem is wife needs car at weekend to ferry her mum about. Is that not what bus passes are for? I would either have to go the night b4 or beg a lift off someone. Did I ever mention that John &

Tony are my 2 favourite clubmates? I would, of course, pay petrol & stand you a spot of high tea.

Hi John, I have also entered. Could be the best/worst fiver I have ever spent. if u shave your legs you can give your wife her trousers back & revert to your cycling shorts. Only 7 weeks to go so we had best get the miles in!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this Tony - as I mentioned at the Paisley Crits, it looks like a great opportunity (much like the Ayr/Newton Stewart run earlier this year and last) to ride in an area I know a bit, but have never cycled in before.

I have duly signed up now as has I believe Mr. Christie. All we need now is an even break from the weather!

Iain

After the Tour of Britain 172 km last Sunday my legs felt good so can manage 204 km and have entered online.

I get back from 2 weeks all inc in Turkey on 7th so it will be a good way to shift those excess kgs!!

Need to sort out transport - I will be able to access internet in Turkey.

So far then it is : Tony (?), George, John, Iain C, Kenny and me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going down on the Sunday morning. Will probably be taking my car, giving my brother john a lift plus A.N. Other. I can carry 2 bikes on the roof and one in the back (wheels off).

Fastest route according to RAC Routeplanner is along the M8 to Edinburgh bypass then down the A7. (I think this is the way we went before.)

Paul, since I owe you a lift anyway, do you want me to pick you up in Lochwinnoch at 0530? We can then head up the A737 and pick up John at the David Lloyd centre (just off the M8) which is our usual rendezvous.

I've sent Lucy an email asking when she's going to send out the brevet cards - I'm assuming no-one else has got theirs yet either? I'm keen to get the route loaded into my GPS even though that is probably against the audax ethic (electronic doping)

Got a reply from the organiser, see below:

Hi Lucy

I entered the aaudax on 9th Sep but don't seem to have received the brevet card yet, just wondering when they are going to be sent out?

Must admit it's a few years since I've done an audax so I don't even know if you still send out the brevet cards in advance.

My apologies if you've already sent it and it's languishing under my doormat or something :)

Thanks

Tony

Forward

ReplyReply

More|

LUCY MCTAGGART to me

show details 5:53 PM (39 minutes ago)

Hi Tony,

Yes I safely received your entry and hopefully you had an e-mail receipt back. Brevet cards are given out on the day but I will be e-mailing across to you the routesheet and info this week once I've put the final touches to things.

Look forward to seeing you on hopefully a sunny autumn day

Lucy

• 2 weeks later...

Forecast looking OK for Sunday. Quick roll call & summary of travel arrangements as I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong):

PaulC's car:

Me

PaulC

FJ's car:

FJ

George

Anyone else going? Or is anyone thinking of going but needing directions to get to the start etc? (Because you've not entered in advance & therefore don't have the details the organiser sent out by email).

What can one say? A truly bogus adventure on beautiful roads, even the roads we rode on in error. Who knew when we left at galashiels at 8am we would be riding the last 5 miles in the pitch black at nearly 7pm. Mental. Hope Paul & Tony made it home ok-or at least Paul didn't get too drunk in the pub we left him in. Yet another one of those character building days....

I managed to find Ancrum again quite easily (it's just off the A68) and Paul was fine. I struggled to stay awake on the way home though!

Best bit for me was the opportunity to do some handbrake turns in the car park at Gala. I've not lost the skills

DJ Antwan

Apart from a bit of drizzle in the morning the rest of the day was dry. Mr. Sun even popped out for a few minutes at the lunch stop in Etal (where?). Saw parts of Britain that I have never seen before and even crossed the border into the land of my birth (wipes away emotional tear).

A great ride until I bonked at 110 miles and had to wait in the Cross Keys at Ancrum (this is a local pub for local people, there is nothing for you here!).

Thanks to the lads for urging me on but the legs had given up.