Track bike

Tom Hill

• 2023 Subscriptions

I am keen to give this a go and there was talk on Tuesday night about arranging a practice session fairly soon.

Having one more space on my garage wall (hmmm ........could need a garage extension soon), I was thinking about buying a track bike that might double as a fixie for road use.

Thing is I know less about this than road bikes so any advice on sizing, frame types etc would be gratefully received.

Tom

A note to all thinking of buying any new bike with intentions of racing. Scottish Cycling has adopted the new UCI regulations and all bikes used competitively from 1st January 2012 must comply

I believe that the relevant infor is on the BC website and SC will be publishing details soon

Kenny

I was thinking about buying a track bike

Thing is I know less about this than road bikes so any advice on sizing, frame types etc would be gratefully received.

Tom

Sir Richard of Montague is your man for this kind of thing Tom.

*Richard to the Track section please. Richard to the track section, thank you*

:grin:

• Members

Wrong again, Kenny! I don't really know about this sort of thing. For example, I don't have a clue about the regulations that Kenny S mentions. But seeing as you summoned me, here's my tuppenceworth.

Tom, for Meadowbank and Manchester (and other tracks with steep banking) what you need is a frame with a bottom bracket height of at least 280mm. This is the crucial factor that stops your pedals striking the boards. The problem with a lot of fixed wheel bikes designed for the road (Specialized Langsters, for example) is that the bottom bracket is nowhere near high enough for use in a banked velodrome. Pay close attention to this measurement before parting with your cash.

Crank length is something to think about, too. I'm using 170mm cranks at Meadowbank, and it's fine because I've got the BB height. But I believe Manchester specify that cranks must be 165mm long in their rules and regulations. It might be a money-saver in the long-run if you can get a bike with 165s on it.

For use on the road, you should be looking for drillings for brakes. To be honest, if you want to ride fixed on the road, I'd suggest seeking out an old steel road bike with horizontal dropouts and doing a conversion. You see, a track bike with geometry suitable for steep banking is going to be hellishly uncomfortable to ride on the road for any length of time. For commuting to work, you'd be comfier on a road bike conversion, I think. (I'm giving you permission for two new bikes instead of one. ;-) )

I'll pass the baton now. Willie Cosh and Mul are probably well up on this subject.

PS: Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.

Hi Richard, There is no 165mm crank restriction at either Manchester, Newport or Meadowbank. 170's are perfectly ok and within the rules. More to do with leg speed and type of racing than the angle of the banking. Sprinters generally tend to go for the 165's and pursuit riders generally tend to favour the longer cranks. There is a big crossover though and at the end of the day it is all down to personal preference rather than rules and restrictions.

Cheers

Jim

Ooh er! I stand corrected. I can tell you that in the five or more years that I have been up and down there with Kayleigh I have never once come across anyone who has ever had any problem with crank length. I know of a number of current Scottish and GB riders who are on the tracks mentioned regularly, who favour longer cranks and have never had any problems.

In fact I was recently trying to get a second hand set of 170's and contacted the staff at Newport and Manchester to see if there were any adds on their boards. I was even offered a swap from one of the senior staff at Newport who had been using 170's and was changing down to 165's. No one even mentioned regs!!

I see there is also mention of tyre width for manchester. There are countless wheels on there every week with 19 or 20mm rubber and no problems with that either. Seems that common sense prevails and the regs are not strictly imposed.

What does get checked at races is the compliance to BC regs and one in particular concerning the distance between the end of the saddle and the centre of the bottom bracket so the geometry of the bike is certainly important.

Oh! By the way, if this thread has left anyone considering the purchase of a set of 165mm cranks. I still have an immaculate set of Dura Ace available for sale ;-)

Tom

I ha e just bought a rossin prestige which accord.g to there guff is fine for the track will bring it down next Tuesday for the tt. It also has a flip flop hub and brakes just let them know you don't want the brake bosses brazed on

• Members

Hey, folks. I've heard a few isolated tales of people being told to change to 165s at Manchester. The consensus does indeed seem to be that 170mm cranks are perfectly safe on a proper track frame. I only mentioned it because I have a suspicion that Glasgow may use Manchester's rules as a starting point for their own, and there's always the possibility that they'll enforce them more rigorously. If I had a choice between two bikes which were identical in every way apart from crank length, I would always go with the bike with 165s, just to obviate an enforced change later.

Just for us thick people what length of cranks are legal and what height from the ground to cl of the bottom bracket as I have just bought a bike which I was told it was suitable to use on the track but now I am not so certain

Help help help

Ignore my last post just read some more bits from the rules good thing I have the height 280mm from bb but will have to buy new chain set as cranks are 172