Ken Laidlaw sportive Hawick 22/08/10

GreigS

Hi dont know where or if i should be posting this but i have just done my first sportive and i want to tell you of the day i had . There were 450 riders taking part in this event and on the start line i was really nervous we were led out the town by a car before we were let loose on the scottish borders back roads there was two rides to choose from 102 miles and 55 miles i opted for the 55 miles the raods were good weather was lovely and sunny and plenty of cattle grids that i didnt like it was really well marshalled with the mountain rescue team all over the place now for the ride started off at a comfortable pace then came the hills and there were plenty of them i got to 30 miles and i got cramp in my leg i stopped for a short time before getting back on my bike i nursed my way back to the finish i wasnt going to quit as jan had kindly lent me her jw top and didnt want to let the club down in the colours not sure where i finished but i do know i wasnt last so im well chuffed ill wait till they post on there website to find out, my av speed was 13.8 mph my max speed 44.6 and by the time i finished i had climbed 3462 feet a really enjoyable day thanks for taking the time to read about my first sportive.

greig

Greig

Didn't realise there were other JWCC's there or I would have looked out for you, well done for getting round.

Like you this was my first sportive and had no idea what the event would be like. The route and marshalling was far better than I was expecting and pulling myself away from the feed stops was difficult as the food was excellant.

In my rashness, having done these sort of distances many years ago, I went for the full distance!! 105 miles later and well over 7000 feet of climbing I finally finished totally spent but had a great day, I'm sure we were up and down every significant climb in the borders!!

For all those that want a climbing challenge this is the event to do next year

Alan