Robert Millar

BrianS

• Members

Scottish Television have announced they have started to put together a piece to remember the achievements of Robert Millar exactly 20 years ago....finishing 4th in the Tour and winning the King of the Mountains. The piece will be shown on Scottish Television next week when the Tour hits the Pyrenees, the famous hunting ground of Robert. I will keep you all posted on exact details nearer the time. The piece will enclude Billy Bilsland (ex-pro) who helped Robert in his earlier days and still has his King of the Mountains jersey proudly displayed on his shop wall.

a7a.gifa1a.gif

• 2023 Subscriptions

20 years!!! :shock: I've still got the tour videos :shock:

Good reason to dig out the original (and best?) millar though. Where is he now?

scotland on sunday had an article on him last week, talking about the Scottish cyclist who "looked like a Dickensian chimney sweep". it's at

http://news.scotsman.com/archive.cfm?id=766602004

• 2024 Subscriptions

Great article...just read it. By coincidence i was watching the 1993 Tour video the other day. Millar was awesome when he attacked on the Col de la Bonette (aka Restafont sp?). it looked as though he might win the stage, but the elite group of Indurain, Rominger, Chiapucci, Riis, Delgado , Zaskula and caught him on the last climb. Just when you thought that was it for Millar... off the back but a good ride nonetheless....he comes charging past in the big ring... a massive effort...made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck...

cheers

Darryl

Martin,

Got that video of robert millar last night from you.

Cant wait to see it and hopefully it will have the brakeaway he did that darryl is on about.

some climb that restefond - i managed it in 2hr 15min :oops::oops::oops: unlike our club mate marko van whitehead who did this in 1 hr 48!!!

2806 meters altitude - the highest rd in europe.

Why is this???

Well ze french froggs decided to lamp another 200 meters of tarmac on top of the mountain so they can claim it to be the highest rd.

About 200 meters down the moutain on the descent you pass an old 1st world war french army barracks.

Its still got the main structure of the old building including picture of a Massive Canon being pulled up the mountain by a 1000 men.

Quite amazing !!

Stevie B.