Sun 24th

charlie p

• 2023 Subscriptions

An eventful day. Myself David Jim Daly Martin m and Martin met at club rooms. I got a puncture en route to club house which delayed us a bit. Conscious that there were guys waiting for us at the erskine bridge we set off at a very brisk pace. Martin who was out for the first time this year was finding it a wee bit tough so cleverly I thought I sent Jim ahead to tell the guys we were not far. Martin decided to head back to Paisley and to be fair I think that was his original plan. The rest of us met Ian and Richard on the bridge. Ian was adamant that he had not seen Jim pass. Anyway we headed to the other side and saw Jim and I think Kenny Christie on the other side of the road. That was our last sighting. We headed slowly up towards Hardgate thinking they would catch us. We stopped at the garage before Milngavie but no one had a no. Martin M and Richard decided to head back to cycle about Gleddoch as they had time issues but this was only after Martin tried to pursuade us that going to Crow hill via Kyber pass would be a good route. Fortunately Ian was wise enough to insist that we went thru Milngavie. So Ian myself and David headed for the Crow Road. As we headed up the hill we had the delight of seeing snow again. I was tail end Charlie. Half way up the hill I met geoff Rankine ( an old Johnstone wheeler) who was parked in the car park.I do not know why? Despite a shove from Geoff I was last to the summit. It was bitterly cold up top so we decided to head back down for a coffee stop at the cafe beside wheelcraft. Then we were homeward bound. As always great company.

Apologies to Jim for not stopping sooner. We are so used to you catching up. Hope everything ok with you

Cheers

Charlie

• Members

It was me on the other side of the bridge with Jim. Kenny Christie will be horrified to hear there's a resemblance. Maybe that's why he's sporting a beard these days - to avoid confusion. :-P

Jim got a puncture as we rode under the bridge to meet you. He didn't have a spanner to get the wheel off his singlespeed, so - after taking the long and winding "don't really know where we're going" route back to Great Western Road, I was despatched to catch the bunch and borrow a multi-spanner . I was up the hill to the Hardgate turn-off in jig time, but there was no sign of yous. I'd have kept going if I'd known for sure that you'd turned to the left. As it was, I was so surprised not to see anyone I managed to convince myself that the bunch was behind me somewhere. I turned around and went back to Jim.

There was no sign of anyone else (or the missing tool) on my return. I rode to B&Q to buy an adjustable wrench. The greeter guy at the door watched my bike - service beyond the call of duty. But Jim phoned before I got to the checkout. In a bit of roadside trading worthy of Arthur Daley, he managed to buy a spanner from a passing cyclist. I rode back up Great Western Road (for the third time!) to meet up with the now-mobile Jim.

We headed over the Erskine Bridge where Jim achieved his peak heart rate of the day when he punctured again (© J Daly.) One tube change later and we were on the move - permanently this time - taking in Bridge of Weir, Lochwinnoch and Johnstone, and salvaging enough of a ride to make getting up on Sunday morning worthwhile. :grin:

Ta for the company, Jim.

Guest Jim Daly

Richard,

Thank you for your efforts to get me mobile again.

Though the comparison with my uncle Arthur would only be fair, if I had resold the spanner for twice what I paid before you got back.

The fist puncture was caused by a half inch long thorn from the BoW Road.

The second by my frustration with refitting the tyre.

Jim

• 2023 Subscriptions
Martin M and Richard decided to head back to cycle about Gleddoch as they had time issues but this was only after Martin tried to pursuade us that going to Crow hill via Kyber pass would be a good route.

Cheers

Charlie

I said it was six and half a dozen, and look: :shock: This from bikehike.co.uk

Via the Khyber pass 6.1 miles, 552ft of climbing

Via Bearsden and Milngavie main road 5.8 miles, 372ft of climbing

Only a third of a mile in it! I'd rather have the country road and an extra wee climb than the A81 anyday.

David suggested a 3rd option, via the Stockiemuir road. It works out at 6.65 miles, 536ft of climbing, which isn't far away again.

Richard and I had a fine wee run home, but didn't meet up with Arthur and Terry. Sorry to Jim and Richard for getting separated from you chaps at the bridge. When we were rolling up the A82 we saw two bikes behind us on the road and thought it was you.

We went home via the monkey house, netherton and west glen roads, and back along the track to BoW. Enjoyed my first club run in months, although I soon saw the disadvantage of only riding for 1 hour each Sunday. Thanks to Richard for waiting for me at the top of the hills!

cheers

M