Fife vets and ladies road race

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Another excellent result for Claire who was 2nd lady today. I'm sure she'll share some more details, the winner I think was Mari Todd. Congrats.

There were 2 races one for over 40 and one for over 50 plus ladies. I was making a late season comeback after my accident and there were 40 riders in the O40 race. The podium was like a Grand Prix podium 20 years ago with Andy Matheson winning from a 3 up break the other two being Neil Cameron and Andy Young. These 3 had about 20 secs at the end. I finished about 12th overall, when I tried to sprint the lack of race sharpness became very apparent :shock: Anyway very happy to be back racing.

Meantime is anyone

- doing Falkirk APR next week

- want to do Falkirk Team race

- Rothesay TLI race 3rd week sep

- Callender TLI race at end Sep

Well done again Claire

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !

Guest Jim Daly

Paul

Excellent results in Fife from both Claire and yourself.

Some conflicts in the calendar:

Falkirk APR is same day as Millport 2-up which I currently favour. Are you up for it?

Falkirk RR is day after tricky Lammermuirs RR. I'll join in if needed.

I'll be going to Rothesay for the weekend races.

The Callander race is currently same day as National Hill Climb Champs and Lyle Hill Climb. I might favour the Race of the Fallen Leaves, despite intention the do the SCU HC.

Jim

Just for the record, I was driving the service car and Mari Todd - who won the race - started in the same race, getting away on the climb on the 2nd full lap with Claire Thomas and Katie, then riding the last 35 miles herself.

Oh and I'm married to Mari - I hope that doesn't affect my credibility as a witness!

Cheers

James Millar (JWCC 1987-1990)

I can back up James here.

I was involved at the finish of the race.

Iain....I think what Claire said to you was that Mari was in a 'league' of her own; not 'race' of her own.

Mari Todd broke away and finished 5 minutes ahead of the 1st 50 year old who was a further 1.5 minutes ahead of the pack with all the women in it.

Claire did very well for her 3rd ever road race (not an easy circuit) easily beating Claire Thomas who immediately told us she was tired and suffering from Asthma........... I've felt that way myself in past road races.

Alan Dow

SWC

• Members

Thanks guys for clearing that up , Claire is new to cycling and is learning very quickly . Iain her father is trying to keep up with the strange world that is cyle racing , he comes from a running background. He was marshalling at Sam Dooley so couldnt go with Claire to watch the race. Superb ride by Mari by all accounts , well done.

ps Mez all the best riders started off in the JWCC ;-)

Hi, this is Mari.. I'm too duff at computers to get my own login so I'm borrowing James'.

Just wanted to say well done to Claire M and sorry I didn't get to chat after the ride... I was a bit tired and spent a fair amount of time slumped in a chair until the coffee and cake kicked in...although I wasn't asleep unlike big shug!

When I started road racing I found it really frustrating getting chased down by more experienced riders (having come from a hill running background). It's actually harder to learn when you are quite fit cos you can get away with making mistakes. I think I learnt the most when I rode at Rothesay on no training after having had our first child and I had to use every trick in the book to stay with the pace before getting dropped anyway.

Don't know if you talked with Katie Anderson at the weekend but she is the most experienced woman in scottish road racing in terms of knowing how to ride a race.

What I am trying to say is, keep watching and learning and I'm sure it will come good for you sometime soon: you are doing really well.

Cheers,

Mari

HI Paul,

How come you still look exactly the same as you did 15 years ago?

I seem to have mistakenly entered the Tour de Trossachs - I did the same thing a couple of years ago and crossed the line hiding my number before spending 20 of the longest minutes of my life shovelling cold pizza, chocolate and anything else I could find into my depleted shell of a body, while slumped in the passenger footwell of the car.

Once bitten... twice bitten, I suppose. This time, I will complete the course with my dignity intact, I hope.

Cheers

James

Its all new to me - seems Mari is in a league of her own and for her to help with advice is typical of the friendliness I have winessed in the cycling world!

Provisional Results

40's

1 Andy Mathieson Musselburgh Roads

2 Gary McCrae Leslie Bike Shop

3 Neil Cameron Falkirk BC

4 Graham Mercer Team Icarus

5 Keith Robertson Granite City RT

6 John Kermode Dundee Thistle RC

7 Scott Johnston Team Icarus

8 Cameron Stewart Edinburgh RC

9 Mark Findlay Edinburgh RC

10 Andy Kilpatrick Fife Cycling 2000

11 John Milligan Dundee Wheelers

12 Dougal Allan Edinburgh RC

13 Tom McIness Fife Cycling 2000

14 George Avraam Edinburgh RC

50's 60's & Women

1 Mari Todd Sandy Wallace Cycles

2 David Lang Glasgow Wheelers

3 George Findlater Elgin CC

4 Calum Cowie Deeside Thistle

5 Steve Beech Sandy Wallace Cycles

6 Claire Macauley Johnstone Wheelers

7 Claire Thomas Edinburgh RC

8 Jocky Johnstone Team Icarus

9 Liz Chillngworth Deeside Thistle

10 Sharon Doyle Sandy Wallace Cycles

11 Kate Wylie Falkirk BC

10 William McMillan Unattached

11 Sandy Wallace Sandy Wallace Cycles

12 James Law Perth United

Ride of the day was by Mari Todd who rode away from the bunch after only 7 miles and did 35 miles on her own to finish 5 minutes ahead of David Lang and 6 minutes ahead of the bunch.

In the 40's race Andy Mathieson pipped Gary McCrae on the line, closely followed by Neil Cameron.

Sandy Wallace

• Committee

Paul, folks

I'm on for the team RR. Please PM or post here if interested.

I am supposed to be training for Kilmacolm running races on 20th Sep (all welcome but enter by 5th Sep) but I reckon the team RR could be fun.

Can we get two teams or even ladies/vets/senior teams?

I am busy working for my coaching course the next couple of days so cannot check out details but will watch this thread if anyone has time to work out logistics.

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hello Alan

The deal for the team race is minimum 4 per team. I'm sure JD could be press ganged so we would need one more. I believe there is quite a bit of interest in this race just cos its something different. So we'll see if anyone else posts - if not then we could always do a dunoon run or something.

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !