Drumlanrig Tearfund Challenge 02/05/09

Who's going then? Have seen a few names on the spreadsheet -

me

John Carrigan

Kenny Christie

Ramsey?

..anyone else? We will want to arrange car-sharing I guess...

It's not the longest or hardest sportive you will ever do but is a very nice day out on the bike. It's unusual in that the ride is split in two with a lunch break in between (cakes & sandwiches supplied by volunteers - folk from Tearfund I think). You eat your lunch in the grounds of the castle (which is also the start/finish point for both legs) and you can start the 2nd leg when you feel like it. This means in effect that the 2nd leg has slightly more relaxed feel because people tend to be grouped in smaller bunches.

Last time (2007) there were 2 feed stops - one at the top of the big hill in Wanlockhead (1st leg) and one at the bottom of the 25% climb in Moniaive.

Timing is done the old-fashioned way - by stopwatch - no timing-chips or dibbers.

It is organised by Dave Moss who is also a TLI race organiser (he does the Moniaive race).

• 2023 Subscriptions

Tony,

I sent off my entry for this a while ago now, but not heard anything. (Have just checked my bank balance and the cheque has come out, so I guess I'm in!). I think Darryl was going to enter also.

I am happy to drive and can comfortably take two others with me. Could do three at a push, but it would be a bit toight. :!:

Not sure what time the start is. Do you know? According to a computer map thingy it should take between 1.5 - 2hours to get there.

Cheers

Ramsay

Ramsey

start time is 9am (it says on the entry form - although I agree it could be made clearer on the website....)

I've had a couple of emails from Rolf Buwert confirming my entry, nothing through the post as yet I think.

I'm happy to drive also, and like you I can take 2 others plus bikes. It took me 90mins to get there last time (I'm not a fast driver). I would probably plan to leave from Johnstone at 7am therefore, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Guys

I was keen but circumstances have changed and i won't be able to join you.

Have a good one.

If anyone is interested in the Northern Rock Cyclone Challenge,then best hurry up .Already 1500 riders for the weekend and 700+ for the sportive. See seperate thread for an update.

Cheers

Darryl

Ramsay, sent u a PM re transport arrangements for Saturday - will hopefully see u at the 2up tonight anyway to discuss.....I will phone John tonight...

Looks like you me and John driving down together if that's OK with you.

I notice the event is now full with 316 entries. Jim Dunlop and Louise have entered as well. Weather forecast looks quite good - dry with sunny intervals...

Brilliant day out. Weather was perfect, the cakes etc at lunchtime were fab.

Riders were set off in groups of 10. John, Ramsay and I set off in the same group & stuck together until the start of the Mennock when Ramsay's climbing legs took over....in the afternoon we again set off together and got in with a decent-sized bunch, Ivy/Hardrock/Walkers, Ramsay driving it along at the front and John & hingin on at the back...

The route was shortened slightly, not due to my dubious Chung-style map-reading skills but apparently a mystery sign-mover:

http://www.cyclosport.org/forum/reply.a ... 6&tid=2585

...I suppose that means they'll be adjusting the gold/silver/bronze thresholds.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Like Tony said, it was a cracking day out, with great company and a suberb array of sandwiches and cakes for lunch. Couldn't believe they actually had cheese and jam sandwiches! I thought I was the only one to eat them. Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

That was my first sportive ride. Need to get my mind around the whole idea of "non-competative" riding! :shock: Was happily cruising along to the bottom of the Mennock, when a small group passed us and I just couldn't let them get to the top before me!! :-?

I controlled the competitive urge better in the afternoon, but still shot off up the last hill! :oops:

Would recommend that part of the world (and indeed that ride) to all that have not riden there before.

Ramsay

Glad you enjoyed the day. It was good to see a good group of J. Wheelers out.

We raise close on £10 000 for Tearfund. In future. If your unable to make the ride, be sure do get a big wash load on, the sun always shines on the Drumlanrig challenge.

Results are now on the web site.

Gold standard is 18 mph and silver 15 mph. Because of the mystery sign mover taking 5 miles off the route, the times required will be less than last year. Also, because of the wind direction, I think the missing miles would have improved the average speed, so apologies to those who missed out by a whisker.

I have included a lunch break column. This years longest lunch stop was the tandem pairing at 1hr 20 mins !!!

I believe Drumlanrig is the only Sportive that excludes the mid distance feed break from the times, but it does seem popular with the riders. Is it cheating? should some others follow suit? I appreciate that for longer events this would risk protracting the event too much.