Coverting Campag 8sp to 10sp

• 2023 Subscriptions

I have an old set of Camapag Shamals which are 8sp.

Does anyone know if I can convert from 8speed to 10 speed? Is it as simple as just getting a new free hub? Or does it change the dish in the wheel?

Should I just get a complete new hub and essentially build the wheel back up with the old rim? (Does mean I probably wont have the flat spokes!)

Not keen to just write off the wheel, so any advice on the above would be welcome.

If it can be converted, does anyone have the right bits I can buy?

Cheers,

Ramsay

In the words of Sheldon Brown so it must be true..

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Bicycle-Repa ... lo-1.htm#b

You are here: Experts > Recreation/Outdoors > Mountain Biking > Bicycle Repair > Campagnolo

Topic: Bicycle Repair

Expert: Sheldon Brown

Date: 3/25/2007

Subject: Campagnolo

Question

I niavely purchased a Campagnolo Shamal 8 speed wheelset for a bike with Campagnolo 10 speed shifter and rear derailer. Can I get these to work together?

Get the answer below

Answer

I don't believe so. Campagnolo 8-speed hubs accept only 8-speed cassettes.

In some cases it is possible to replace the hub's splined body, but the parts are very hard to find, if they even exist at all.

It may be possible to convert your shifters to 8-speed if you can find a compatible shift disk.

In Shimano stuff, you can sometimes work around this sort of issue by using an alternate cable routing at the derailer. I haven't tried this with Campagnolo, but it might be worth a shot.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/alternate

There's also a possibility that you could get this to work as an 8-speed setup if you were to use a Shimano derailer. If you have one lying arount, it might be worth trying.

All the best,

Sheldon

But Ramsay you really do have to ask why 10?