Sunday 15th June in Dolomites

Alan McLean

• Committee

Hello

Just back from Gran Fondo Campagnolo in the Dolomites with Duncan T and two other friends.

http://www.granfondocampagnolo.it/

Minor epic. 216k, 5200m of climbing: three big passes. Snowing. One of us dropped out with hypothermia. 13 hours of riding. Much harder than last year, see my previous report

http://www.johnstone-wheelers.co.uk/php ... .php?t=332

On Monday I climbed alone through the mist to the beautiful little church of Maddona di Ghisallo, 700m above Lake Como. A shrine to cycling with bikes, plaques and rainbow jerseys covering the walls.

Full report and pics to follow.

Still early summer folks, lots of Euro roads to travel.

Safe riding

Alan

• Committee

Darryl

Every cafe was stuffed with sensible people who were warming up while waiting for a lift back. Awesome stats: 20 ambulances, 80 medical personnel. Dozens of minibuses and transit vans picking folk up. Late finishers like myself were stripped of bike numbers for last section because the organisers wouldn't take responsibility for us.

About 1000 finished the long course with about 300 definite DNF and a load of people bailed out down the halfway escape route to end up with an unfeasibly good finish time. Grrrr.

Thanks to you and all the others who came out in crappy (and some nice ) weather through the spring. Good memories.

Photos on their way.

A

• 2023 Subscriptions

Alan & Duncan,

Great effort, looking forward to the full report.

Sounds like it was much worse than that day (early March?) over to Dunoon, where we were all on the verge of hypothermia waiting for the ferry.

Cheers

Ramsay