Hey Alan,

from my vast experience of these races:

do not get dropped

go fast as you can

go faster than that

sprint even faster

smile for the camera Oh ya dancer !

duncan

have excuses handy for post race debrief Hello, beer !!

sorry won't be there to see the pain, sweat and tears due to family holiday commitments.

Bet Lance didn't have this problem with life conflicts affecting his race preparation

Hey Alan,

Bet Lance didn't have this problem with life conflicts affecting his race preparation

You must be joking, Duncan. I heard that he fell out with the wife because everytime he was going out for a spin she thought he was taking the washing down the launderette.

As for that Sheryl Crow seemingly all she wanted to do was go round shopping in Braehead on a Sunday with Lance in tow

Guest Jim Daly

I understand that Alan McLean got a decent result in the race today.

He also lent me his good front wheel for the second race which makes him an all round good cyclist in my book.

I finished the race today just to make sure that I didn't attract a harsh posting from the JWCC Performance Director. I got dropped about a quarter of the way up the first of the climbs to Leadhills. Later, I was able to share a lap with Jamie Drever and then followed him for about half a lap. Not being lapped by the leaders on that 4 lap circuit I will consider as a wee success.

Another very good SuP6R event. Winner was Arthur Doyle.

• Committee

Frank and I were both in the early race. Full field again, 78 signed on.

Clear and cold weather. We were piped out from Wanlockhead to the neutralised start line in the moonscape above Leadhills.

The bunch stayed together for a very fast rolling descent into Elvanfoot. I stayed up front to avoid potholes, crashes and the slinky effect of the tight turns when we turned left under the M74. Long drag into the wind parallel to the motorway.

For once I read the wind right and stayed well out of it. I accidentally ended up in front a couple of times but didn't waste any energy there.

Left again to turn back up towards Leadhills. No real breaks. A wee crash slowed some folk down: again it's much better to be at the front to reduce the risk of this.

On the second descent from Leadhills I was in a lead group of 15 with a 200 metre gap to the chasing group. There was some attempt at organisation by the series leader but no-one did any work (cos we're just Cat 4's) and we were soon back in the bunch. Glasgow Wheelers, EKRC, and ERC prominent at the front.

The pace heated up on the next northerly leg into the wind. A trio including two Embra RC got away for the sprint. They would have stayed away but for half a dozen guys who had had enough and launched a clawback, dragging us all behind them.

Definitely getting faster now as we hit the last ascent to Leadhills again. Starting to hurt a bit. People started to drift off the back. Top marks to the solo breakaway who managed about 8k alone before being caught.

I managed to stay in the lead bunch of twenty or so.

Time to dig a bit deeper on the real hill approaching Leadhills. The organisers had described this as a "big ring climb". Big ring if you like pain, that is. The radar speed sign read 24mph (with a big smiley face) as we entered the village on a short flat.

A sharp left turn started the horrible wee climb to the finish, about 1k at 6%. My legs were gone, not really a sprint, just attrition, as I crossed the line in 18th place and about 30 secs behind the winner.

Stayed to watch Arthur Doyle win the A race.

Top marks to the organisers and Scottish Cycling for the race. Excellent marshalling, barbeque and live music.

I'll try to do the next race in May. If anyone else is interested please PM me.

Another great day with Alan taking the honours with a superb ride. Hello, beer !!

I managed to detach myself from everyone and spent the whole race on my own. Not very clever but at least I felt better on the bike this time than I have been recently. Quite enjoyed it actually.

Finished well down the field. Course had a bit too much climbing for me but looking forward to the next one. Weird or what? :-?

Frank

• Committee

Top marks to Jim who received big cheers from the spectators for pushing on. He must have been held back by my front wheel which was clearly tired having already done a couple of laps in the morning.

Please note that almost half the field dropped out of a very fierce A race, best racers in Scotland and North of England, so Jim very definitely kept the JWCC flag flying.

Alan

Guest Jim Daly

Alan

Great photos taken from some extreme locations.

The following, if enlarged, captures clearly the very moment that I lose touch with the bunch :-( .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24303373@N03/2397165298/

I should have positioned myself on the wheel of one of the two British Champions. :roll:

The leading group is just out of that shot.

Cheers

Jim