Sunday 9th. March

Kenny MacDonald

• Members

Well its back to old clothes and porridge this Sunday following the excitement of the Reliabilities and the Don Smith :shock:

9:00am at clubroooms for a magical mystery tour, weather dependent :cry:

Kenny S is still recovering ;-) ( this weeks quiz - suggestions on a postcard please) from his injuries :-? so no wee mappy gizmo to completely ignore this Sunday.

Hopefully see you Sunday Oh ya dancer !

Leader duties were bestowed upon me this morning when I turned up for the 9am run. Old MacD was suffering from suspected cracked ribs as a result of a bicycle polo incident on Friday night. Upon further enquiry young James informed us that including this injury there was a split head an a broken arm as well!!!! (looks like anyone going for self defence classes should just get along to Linwood on a Friday night with a fixed bike and join in there instead. These guys can obviously handle themselves).

So we set off on the dot of 9. Young MacD, John J, Greg, Mark Whitehead and myself. We headed out through Howood and turned towards Lochwinnoch just past the Howood Inn where Mark was aparently disapointed that we were not just heading to the Caff in Lochwinnoch.

Turning right towards the top of Johns Road low gears were engaged and a steady tempo set until James decided to open the pipes a bit towards the top.

With a nice tailwind we headed off towards Kilmacolm and the high Greenock road heading for the top of the Whin (from the easy side obviously for my benefit). Passing a mountainbiker near the bottom Mark contemplated stealing his bike for use in the Flanders sportive...

Over the top of the second rise and James self selecting Campag gears were playing up (I'm sure I have seen that mentioned on here before) and we all took great delight in sprinting past him with JJ first over the top.

Onto the top of the Whin and instead of enjoying the fast descent we turned right and headed over to the Port. It was here that Johns luck turned for the worse with a mechanical following clattering through a pothole. Half way down the Clune and sharp right heading for the gunpowder and he then got the first of his punctures. James and Mark proceeded to hammer up the Gunpowder and time had to be allowed for the stragglers to see that we were heading for West Glen (so more climbing!!!!) Over West Glen and into Kilmacolm where we regrouped at the cross and discussed the delights of Pierries ice cream (YUM!!!) Greg was cajoled into continuing on and up Phils Folly where Mark showed impresive climbing speed to chase a tractor up the hill for most of the way. We then headed for BOW along the Barnbrock road where John got his second puncture.

A good run out and although maybe slightly shorter than usual I was informed that we probably covered more climbs. Old MacD must be slipping a bit......

Special note must go to John and Greg who both considered chucking it in but persevered. Its these days that make the difference guys!

Apologies for any spelling mistakes and for some reason these wee Emoticons seem not to be working today.

• Members

Weather permitting Ian there will be a Saturday ride.

In case people think Polo is a dangerous sport :shock: the 3 injuries were freak incidents :roll: Jim the new guy was shot in mid sprint by a sniper causing him to crash spectacularly with no one near him ( broken thumb :cry: )

I fell onto another players pedal trying to avoid both him and a n other , cracking LH ribs for the 3rd time ( other 2 times non polo related)

Alasdair lost his front wheel slipping on wet astro resulting in a split eyebrow :roll:

3 freak non related events :shock:

Despite severe pain managed 30 miles this morning , no enamel left on teeth though :cry:

Hopefully see you next weekend ;-)