The Thirty Milers - Sunday 14th October

KennyS

The planned route for this Sunday is as follows:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-kingdom/johnstone/511615864

The route shows the cycle track back to Johnstone from Lochwinnoch but there's always the option of the back road from Lochwinnoch through Howwood to Johnstone with the sprint as per last week. (need to have a word with the lead-out train so that they don't drop us this week ;-) )

Leaving from the clubrooms at 9 o'clock sharp

Last weekend without mudguards.

• 2023 Subscriptions

from Kenny MacDonald

Have you got muddies ready for this weekend??????????

The Gudmuard Police will be out in force dont be the first rider of the winter to be turned away from the Sunday bunch.

from Kenny S

Last weekend without mudguards

so which is it? :-?

also, if we leave at 9, roughly what time do you expect to get back?

The road from erskine hospital to bishopton was closed last sunday for work, I presume it is open now, does anyone know?

cheers

duncan

ps hope to be there, will take mudguards if needed!

Kenny - Really enjoyed last week but unfortunately will miss this week due to babysitting duties. Rather dissapointed as I have been training in Ireland all week on Ulster fries and the porter. At least I know I'm doing my bit to keep the group on the large side.

Nae mair hills !

Slow Al

Ferry Rd (Erskine Bridge to Bishopton) is definitely open. (The section from Compaq to the bridge was resurfaced last weekend, it is now silky smooth.)

Drumcross Rd (the wee cyclist-friendly shortcut from Old Greenock Rd to Ferry Rd) has also been resurfaced, it was done last week or thereabouts.

• Members

Oh ya dancer ! 17 !!! strong bunch left the clubrooms for some fun & frolics on the back roads of Renfrewshire ;-)

Grey skies and a strong wind couldnt deter our resolute squad of youngsters, clydesdales, ladies,wrinklies and 30 somethings :roll: A cracking pace was set ( some dubiety about who started this ;-) )along Georgetown road.Steady thru Bishie and up old Greenock where someone upset kenny S by changing route again !!! :rockets . Round old Greenock and back towards Monkey house climb and first plane crash of the day ( a minor one it has to be said)

and then onto west Glen and the long slog up the climb to Kilmacolm.

Thru Kilmacolm and over towards Phils folly :oops: where a major plane crash ensued :cry: although riders quickly formed own groups and fought all the way to the top and a regroupment. Descent to Lochwinnoch drew gasps of exasperation as Kenny MacD and George descended at speed giving some concern but rest assured these seasoned campaigners had everything well under control ;-) well as much as these two can manage ;-) at their age.

A couple of punctures befell the lead riders galloping for the sign at Lochwinnoch ( George didnt discover his till he thru village :roll: ) And this led to a shop stop at bottom of Johnshill.

The bunch then headed back up track to Howwood and a gallop for sign

Full report to follow

ps

when we ( Davie R,George , Kenny MacD) left bunch in Lochwinnoch we headed up roadhead r/b onto Braes :cry: and another 5 miles of climbing :shock: Calfman Hamilton punctured in Lochwinnoch and opted to chase us :rockets despite using every unknown road we could find he narrowly missed catching us as we turned for Greenacres :smash We finished with a big gear uphill leg bending sprint :smash:oops: before sweeping down into Howwoood and a well deserved warm down.

Quote of the day :- Sarah " I didnt start to have a life untill I was 25" translated to mean :- she didnt discover square slice and sex till she was 25 ;-)

Quote of the day 2 :- Davie R just after he swept round bend at bottom of Roadhead climb " oh f :shock: k

Whilst the breakaway group of Kenny Mac, Davie and George opted for more hills the rest of the bunch headed for the track for Howwood and home.

May be a good call to keep off the track for a few weeks until theLochwinnoch contingent of the club arrange the sweeping up of the banks of leaves :lol:

It was only at this point that we realised Colin and Duncan weren't with us. Sorry guys but that must have been some puncture as we assumed everyone was back together after the shop stop.

Anyway, the route through Howwood seen some jostling for position in the bunch in anticipation of the sprint.

Ken Mac and young Greig and pulling us all along up the rise before Greig decided to have a go. Chung pulled a fast one from the back of the bunch and opened up enough of a gap so that he could ease up ahead of the deposed sprint champ from last week :cry::cry:

I think Greig was third and the rest can put in their own claims. On the regroup Greig was heard to say I'm not exactly sure where we're supposed to start sprinting. If someone tells him then we could all be in trouble over the winter ;-);-)

Next week's Thirty Miler is the Macgical Mystery Tour

Cheers, KennyS

• 2023 Subscriptions

Kenny,

sorry to have missed you after my puncture, surprising really since I had jonly hammered a deep pot hole

After melting the ice from my fingers, (these gas cannisters are great for rapid inflation but seriously cold) we set off in hot pursuit. Colin and I hammered along the cycle track believing you were all ahead of us. Colin was telling me about next seasons plans for time trials, I think he started the training early :oops:

Hope to be back for more in a couple of weeks

duncan