Arran Trip

Darryl Gunson

My suggestion would be as follows:

Johnstone to Oban Via: GOurock ferry - Dunoon - Strachur - St Catherines - inverarry(Lunch Stop) , Dalmally, Connel is a classic run ive done several times and well worth it.

Or To make ot even better on the way back from Oban you could go to Lochgilphead - Tarbet , Ferry to Portavadi cycle to Tighnabruich for lunch then home over the Tarzan Dam Climb Hello, beer !!

Its roughly 100 miles out and just less coming back i think.

Would depend on the weather!

Could stay at the YH or Rita's Brother in law Jim might be able to help out with his B&B there if he is willing to open during the off season :-o

Not so sure if everyone is intending to ride 100 Miles Though Darryl??

Cheers,

Stevie

P.s. if you cant be @rsed carrying your kit on your back or on your rack you could do what Bob Sharp Swears by !!! POST IT well in advance Hello, beer !!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2024 Subscriptions

Guys,

as far as I can tell Oban has beds for the 24th. I personally would go for it, but I don't know about others. As Stevie says it's a long way, esp if the weather's bad.

Port Charlotte on Islay is available for hire (£260) I think. That would be quite a ride there and back too, and we'd need a big bunch to make that economical. In fact it probably won't be doable cos of winter ferry times.

So folks looks like its Oban or nothing. If we don't go anywhere, presumaly the 36hour pass is still good? Day rides on Sat and Sun with a Curry on Sat night :shock:Hello, beer !!

Can folks post here and say if they fancy Oban or if they've any other ideas please.

Darryl

• Members

Guys

in past club has had very successfull weekends at various hostels all within easy riding :- Killin , Glendevon, Kendoon , Minnigaff are in areas with good roads for cycling. On the SYHA website I see the addition of Comrie croft which is an excellent place ( we went to a 50th. birthday there this year) all worth a thought. An alternative which I have used many times in winter is Stirling . Excellent run opportunities and good night life etc , may sound too close but riding over tak me doon and round Dukes etc will loosen the best of legs.

Wanlockhead was a favourite of many clubs in winter , is it still open?

• 2024 Subscriptions

Thanks for the suggestions, especially Kenny.M Of those, only Stirling is available on our date. Wanlockhead seems to be closed now.

So Stirling is a possibiity. It is a bit nearer than Oban...

Anyways, have a think about it.

So far we have Oban, Stirling, or Hotels on Arran or the bunkhouse that KS mentioned.

DG