Bealach na Ba

Darryl Gunson

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hello to all doing the Bealach on Saturday. It occurred to me that it would be good if we co-ordinated start times. Seems a bit daft setting off and riding the whole thing 5 mins in front or behind your mates :-( So, may I suggest we meet up at the start at 8am?

Cheers

Darryl

• 2023 Subscriptions

I hear that Beallach na Ba has been reduced in height this year.

So it should be much easier...

Jim

I'm suspicious. Their website says 9630 feet of climbing (and I've been telling people that all year), but in an idle moment I put the route into mapmyride (http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-kingdom/kinlochewe/715829929) and it says it's only an easy 5350ft. Should I ask for my money back?

Anyone taking a GPS with them this year to settle it?

• 2024 Subscriptions

Thanks for that Dave - you are right the start is as you say. From the website:

The Start

Starts are between 9.00 and 10.00. Just dib and go. However, when deciding what time to start you need to note the following:

You must be at the Tornapress junction onto the Bealach-na-ba road between 11.00 and 12.00. There is no access onto the road over the Bealach-na-ba from Tornapress for riders before 11.00. (this is to ensure that the road is clear of cars before cyclists start up the climb). It is 58km/36m from Kinlochewe to Tornapress.

New suggested meet time: 8.45am at the start.

Cheers

Darryl

• Life Members

Hi Howie,

Trying to get in touch with you, how are you with the accommendation?

I've still got the extra bed booked in Torridon youth hostel still available if you want it.

Phone me at my work 0141 333 0027

I'll be at the start at 8.45am

cheers

Chung

What is the big rush to get off so early :-? . If you get to the start of the climb early you will have to hang about till the organizers let you through. Why not leave a bit later, say 9:15-9:30, get to the climb at an ok time and there is no chance of getting held up at level crossing (train due-10:30 @24miles in). if you leave at 9, avg 16mph (climbs near start & headwinds forecast for Sat.) will get you to crossing for 10:30.

Last year the event started at 8.00am with riders leaving 1 - 99 then 100 -199 and so on every 10 minutes. Most of us left in the second wave to avoid the cavelry charge down the loch to the Bealach but it was still a frantic pace.

So I would agree with Donald and look to leave a little later as from memory it only took about 1 hour 35 minutes to get to the bottom of the climb :angryfire

In saying that we were still able to catch some of the early group on the run in to Kinlochewe ;-):grin:Oh ya dancer !

I agree with Don-Don too,lets leave later,gets all the loonies out the way and we can enjoy ourselves,once we get to the big climb its every man/woman for themselves and I suggest we regroup at feeding station after Applecross descent at sea level.The next section is in my opinion the toughest part so a group working together to help others get round would make sense,so everyone sit on Donald's wheel!!! :-P

• Life Members

I still have a spare bed at Torridon Youth Hostel if anyone is still looking for accommendation.....any takers....Jim D....beats sleeping in a tent in a ski suit.... if not I'll call them and cancel my booking so someone needed could have it.

I quite like to take a group photo of everyone from the club at the start line if everyone can maybe plan to meet at a desinated spot before we head to the start line ...ie. like the car park with the public toilet.

Better still Dougie, I'll just sit on Donalds bike while he pedels! :grin::grin:

Cheers

Chung