What was Georgetown?

Alan McLean

• Committee

Stevie

Can't do Renfrew bunch but please post their current leaving times from the bogs in case I miss the 6pm Braehead bunch on Tuesday. is it 1845 or 1900? Anyway I think Tue and Thurs would be very hard work.

If you (or any lurkers) are commuting tomorrow and want some company I'll wait for 2 minutes from 0745 at the junction of West Glen Road and Barochan Road. Heading south/east past Formakin, Bishopton, Renfrew and Govan.

If I'm not there by 0747 then I'm either very late or in a big, comfy car with Five Live on the radio and knocking cyclists into gutters. So don't wait around.

Regards]

Alan

• Committee

Formakin to Renfrew in five minutes? Easy, I'll just sit on Mr blom's wheel.

(If anyone wants to meet up a bit earlier/later on this route then please post or PM me and I might change the time . I've met a few commuters but we all tend to have our own agendas in the morning)

Did you get a new bike?

and do you know what Georgetown was/is?

A

• Committee

Kenny

Thank you for the Wikipedia reference. It seems that Georgetown itself has gone for almost 50 years. I wonder if generations of JWCC have kept the name alive. It doesn't appear on my OS map.

Stevie

Thanks for the info. I'll try to get out on a Thursday before the end of "summer". How does it compare to the Tuesday 6pm run? faster?slower? More/less folk?

Maybe see you on Tuesday.

Regards

Alan

There used to be a small estate of wooden bungalows that I believe housed the management personnel of Bishopton Factory. They must have disappeared in the late 50's very early 60's.

Thanks for Sunday Kenny despite the weather,sponsorship sheets are now £100 with the BA match still to come next weekend so shouldn't do too badly. :lol::lol::lol:

Alan,

Thursday night was the fastest renfrew run EVER! Speed was hardly below 30mph over drags and bunch was splitting every where.

Its much faster than the Tri night :oops:

there are many top riders all putting in a big effort.

Bunch is also larger with all sorts of age groups with alot of experience.

Defo worth if you could manage out will keep your wits about you riding in a fast bunch.

You have an option over the clune brae - you can take the so called short cut @ the 2nd roundabout down the west instead of the going up the clune at 3rd turn port glasgow.

Few riders take the short cut - can be harder with a heed wind by the way!!!

Get a good warm up though before you tag on !!

See you on the road :grin:

There is a fair chance that Georgetown was named after George Houston.

" In 1781, George Houstoun. Esq., Laird of Johnstone, decided to build a whole new town. Some of the main industries in the district at that time were: agriculture, coal-mining, spinning, weaving and quarrying.

George had developed agriculture, coal mining and quarrying on his large estate and now on the eve of the industrial revolution; he turned his attention to planning and building the town. "