attracting newcomers

paul mcskimming

SHAZ,

GENERAL IDEA'S

I SPOKE WITH PETE BENNEL A FEW WEEKS AGO AND HE HAD A GOOD IDEA:

CAN WE PUT ON THE WEBSITE AN ADVERTISEMENT THAT WE CAN HELP AND GIVE ADVISE TO PEOPLE WHEN THEY ARE PURCHASING NEW BIKES?

I.E. FRAME SIZE AND HOW MUCH THEY SHOULD PAY?

I REMEMBER JOINING THE CLUB , I BOUGHT A NEW ROAD BIKE BUT I DONT THINK I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT FOR THE PRICE I PAID THEN.

THE REASON WHY:

THE LEVEL OF KNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE PICKED UP OVER THE LAST YEAR HAS BEEN SUPERB. ONLY IF I WOULD HAVE KNOWN IT THEN OR SOME1 COULD HAVE GIVEN ADVISE??

JUST HELP ON PARTS AND DIFFERENT GROUPSETS ETC?

COULD WE ADVERTISE THAT WE CAN GIVE ADIVSE ON BIKE MECHANICS? OR JUST GENERAL INFORMATION ON HOW TO KEEP YOU' R BIKE CLEAN , HOW TO CHANGE A TYRE/INNER TUBE , CHAIN , CABLE'S , SET BRAKES ETC ETC ETC ........IT GOES ON.

THESE ARE ALL BASIC SKILS YOU WOULD NEED TO KNOW IF YOUR OUT AND MANY MILES FROM HOME.

BEGINNERS COULD GO TO CLUBROOMS ON A FRIDAY NIGHT??? EXPERIENCED MEMBERS COULD GIVE GENERAL ADVISE LIKE :

WHAT TOOLS TO BRING WITH YOU

YOUR BASIC FOOD AND DRINK INTAKE ETC ETC.

DARRYL ALSO HAD ANOTHER GREAT IDEA:

HE POINTED OUT THAT WE SHOULD HAVE A "DEBATE" SECTION ON THE BUNCH THAT ONLY MEMBERS CAN SEE.

I KNOW THAT THE CLUB WILL REQUIRE HELP AND I AM MORE THAN WILLING TO HELP OUT IN ANYWAY I CAN TO BRING NEW MEMBERS TO THE CLUB OR JUST HELPING OUT IN GENERAL.

THESE IDEAS MIGHT NOT BE ANY USE BUT HEY I TRIED :wink:

SOME OF YOU MIGHT HAVE A DIFFERENT VIEW ?

ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY INTERESTING IDEAS ? :wink:

STEVIE .B.

Thanks for the ideas so far. I am currently putting together a document to take to the committee, detailing several possible options for advising 'new' and 'old' members alike.

I will take on board as many ideas as possible, but as I am only just starting this process, I may not use all of the ideas to begin with- If they are good ideas I will get round to them eventually.

Cheers

Shazy :D

What about bringing the youngsters on? I have a twelve year old "brattess" who has a new bike and is "rarin to go" problem is there doesn't appear to be anywhere to go for her at the moment. Are there more members out there with juniors who want to get involved ? If so is there anything we could organise for them? Surely the best way to ensure that the club continues to thrive in the future.

Cheers

Jim B

Guest fatblokeonbike
What about bringing the youngsters on? I have a twelve year old "brattess" who has a new bike and is "rarin to go" problem is there doesn't appear to be anywhere to go for her at the moment. Are there more members out there with juniors who want to get involved ? If so is there anything we could organise for them? Surely the best way to ensure that the club continues to thrive in the future.

Cheers

Jim B

A chance here for http://www.cyclingscotland.org/pagecont ... tionID=108 to prove its worth, certainly to demonstrate its willingness and ability to respond??? (They don't seem to have anything else on at present.)

Is there currently a "Safer Cycing for Children" or something like, running under the aegis of the Council or the Polis in Renfrewshire?

Can we just plain put announcements in the press, posters in the Libraries, that there will be Cycling Safely Sessions for youngsters, starting this Saturday/Sunday morning/afternoon - or pretty quickly - at Miller Street? The Clubrooms 'cos it's somewhere to shelter if it should rain (Ok, Ok, this is the West of Scotland, but it *might* rain, you never know) and we're right on the National Cycle Network.

Who would help?

Yooors,

Iain.

I have started looking at ways to bring in youngsters into the sport as part of the JWCC development plan. There are several ways to go, however the two biggest obstacles at the moment are:

1. Volunteers

2. The child protection minefield!

Cycling Scotland is an organisation who should be taking cycling to schools etc. and I plan to work with them to see what advice and help they can give to the club.

Cheers

Sharon