Flights to Aloe D'Huez

a.yeoman

Hi All

I did a bit of surfing and came up with the following

Loads of options to get to Heathrow but only one flight to Lyone a day which gets in at 23:05 on the 18th and leaves Lyon at 07:05 on the 25th retuning to Glasgow vai Heathrow at 10:45. Cost around £150. This is with BA so no surcharge for Bike (unless you are over weight limit)n Ha ve a look at http://www.britishairways.com/travel/fx ... 1216111610

Easyjey also fly to Lyon but its about £120 return from Stansted and I think they charge £15 per bike per fligh so thats another £60 for the round trip :(:(

This would mean we miss both Saturdays by arriving very late (remember we need to transfer to the chalet from the airport so probably wouldn't get ther till around 2:00am and would need to leave very early for a 7:05 flight home.

What about travelling on the Friday and returning on the Sunday to give us a full week on the bike? or maybe go on the Friday but still come home on the Sat (Ithink it is Glasgow Fair Friday so some may be off work anyway) Also its my birthday on the Saturday and would rather spend it on the bike than on a plane :D:D

Same time same price but more cycling :D:D:D:D

Would need to arrange somewhere to stay on the Fri and Sat night though.

Has anyone been before and know of other options for airports?

Any one have an opinion

aya me how!!!!!

good point big man , i think the best way to do it is get all the riders who are flying together at some point and discuss what they want to do.

or all riders who are flying put the names doon on this site plus tel numbers so we can get this sorted out.

im happy to book my flights this friday night after my work - some others might not be able to as the time of year.

its best if we can find out how many riders are flying as we could get a discount from the airline if we all go on same flight - does this make sense?

to stay a night in hotel on the friday could be costly as tour is passing by plus

its DUTCH MOUNTAIN IN IT so plenty of orange geeks kicking about the joint.....

some of us was talking about people carriers etc too from lyon airport.

god knows but plenty to talk about and get this right as i dont want to be left at glasga.

blom

I'm sure BA do a group discount if 10 or more are flying together, it needs to be booked as a group booking though.

Rather than discount we could try for an increased baggage allowance as I got stung for 99 euro on the way back last year :? , could have been worse they could have charged me on the way out too, but then it was mostly duty free on the way home :P

big man that sounds the bizzz.

book it as a group booking then and we can hopefully find out tonight if

anyone can put ther names doon so we can discuss who is going and no going.

great stuff allan just what we needed to action.

ill by you a pint fur yer birthday man when we arrive at 2am :oops::oops::oops:

blom

Hi Alan,

I've done some surfing and have posted some alternatives for you. Hope these help :)

Cheers, Scott

========================

OPTION 1

£151.20

08:45 Depart Glasgow (GLA)

Arrive Lyon (LYS) 13:25 Fri 16-Jul

Duration: 3hr 40mn British Airways 1843 / 7911

Connect in Manchester (MAN)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14:00 Depart Lyon (LYS)

Arrive Glasgow (GLA) 18:40 Sun 25-Jul

Duration: 5hr 40mn British Airways 7912 / 1846

OPTION 2

£149.40

17:25 Depart Glasgow (GLA)

Arrive Lyon (LYS) 23:05 Sat 17-Jul

Duration: 4hr 40mn British Airways 1493 / 364

Connect in London (LHR)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPTION 3

£151.20

07:00 Depart Glasgow (GLA)

Arrive Lyon (LYS) 13:25 Sat 17-Jul

Duration: 5hr 25mn British Airways 1640 / 7911

OPTION 4

£164.40

11:40 Depart Glasgow (GLA)

Arrive Lyon (LYS) 18:35 Sat 17-Jul

Duration: 5hr 55mn British Airways 1483 / 362

Connect in London (LHR)

• 2023 Subscriptions

hi all

been diggin around and doing some thinking. The friday - sunday options being discussed sound good, but of course mean 2 hotel nights, extra car hire days, more bevvy etc. Could add a wedge to the price, for effectively one extra day on the bike.

Of course not everyone needs to travel at the same time, so I guess we could see different groups depending on cash / work / family constraints.

Two options I found:

The long week - direct flight from Glasgow to Geneva with BA Citiexpress

16 Jul Depart Glasgow 11:20 , Arrive Geneva 17:00 (BA1676)

25 Jul Depart Geneva 17:40, Arrive Glasgow 21:10 (BA1677)

Price: £128.80

(Problem with this is the cost of hotels in Geneva - at least £60 per room per night)

The short week - Geneva via Heathrow

17 Jul Depart Glasgow 07:30, Arrive Geneva 13:40 (BA1475). 2hrs wait @ heathrow

24 Jul Depart Geneva 07:20, Arrive Glasgow 11:55 (BA 2735). 2 and a half hours in London

Price: £146.70

• 2023 Subscriptions

Doh! second half of the email. :?

Sharon - can you confirm the dates? We are looking at the 17th - 24th, aren't we?

For the rest of us; how many people are looking to fly? What do people feel about these flight options compared with the ones posted by Scott and Alan? Who wants to share care hire (current price estimate per week about £215 for an Astra estate, £320 for a 7-seater)?

I'm keen to book up flights this weekend if I can, and it would be good to coordinate this, to make it easier for car hire etc.

Drop a line back to give your views if you get the chance...

cheers

m

Martin, Steve

Like you I'm keen to get this booked up, the long week was just a suggestion, I would prefer to fly Sat -Sat as staying on would mean missing the wee mans b'day (again and he never forgave me last year)

I won't be online this weekend but if you are booking could you let me know - if possible even book mine and I will give cash / cheque oevr weekend - go on you know I'm good for it.

Car hire would be good too, Astra would be best as people carrier can still only take a bike rack with 3 -4 bikes so is there ny point?

Any other takers, or should we wait till we can all get together?

Give me a call, Martin has my numbers

cheers

I would prefer to take the short week,cheaper option.It does mean a bit of a sleepless night friday through saturday on the return but hey were gonna be knackered anyway after doin the five mountains the day before :shock: .Car hire wise I prefer the larger car option as I would like it if my KING was not scratched by Martin's Raleigh Chopper on a bike rack!!!!!!!!!!!. :lol: Are we still going with the group booking option or doin it oorselves? :?

Dear All,

FORGET BRITISH AIRWAYS FROM HEATHROW. I travel to Lyon two or three times a year on business. Last year we started going with FlyBE (Used to be Jersey European) who codeshare with Air France. We regularly paid £480 return with BA, but the last FlyBE flight was £85 return.

Makes life a wee bit easier on the pocket!

Hertz.

Confirmed travellers so far on option 3 are stevie, dougie, martin, alan and myself :D Ticket prices including taxes is around £220. Our intention is to hire a car / MPV in Lyon.

Let Martin, Alan or the bunch know your travel plans if your wanting to share car hire / transport costs. :!: BA seat prices will go up nearer le tour.

Cheers, Scott

Date Flight Departure Arrival - Stops

- Aircraft Duration Cabin Class

Saturday, July 17, 2004 Air France

AF 3047

OP E Heathrow (LHR), London, United Kingdom

Terminal 2 14:20

St Exupéry (LYS), Lyon, France

Terminal 2 17:05

Non-stop

146 1h45min Economy (Tempo)

Saturday, July 24, 2004 Air France

AF 3046

OP E St Exupéry (LYS), Lyon, France

Terminal 2 12:30

Heathrow (LHR), London, United Kingdom

Terminal 2 13:20

Non-stop

146 1h50min Economy (Tempo)

Itinerary pricing

Fare Type Fare Taxes GBP

Public 46.00 + 34.10 x 1 Adult = 80.10

Total fare = 80.10

Howzat?

From Air France website

Good tip mr van rental. A possible connection is shown below..

£58.50

09:30 Depart Glasgow (GLA)

Arrive London (LHR) 11:00 Sat 17-Jul

Duration: 1hr 30mn British Airways 1477

Nonstop flight

17:20 Depart London (LHR)

Arrive Glasgow (GLA) 18:40 Sat 24-Jul

Duration: 1hr 20mn British Airways 1492

Nonstop flight

If there are no surcharges for carrying a bike on both flights (not sure about Air France), and both flights are to/from the same terminal, it looks like a winna.

For about £140 people can't go wrong. Maybe you can also advise on car hire :wink: