Aileen wins gold

David McKellar

This report was taken from the Britishcycling website on Aileen's win at Aigle Switzerland in the 2006 IPC Cycling World Championships earlier today.

"Women's 1Km Time Trial - B & VI

Head and shoulders above the rest, what a paring Aileen McGlynn and Ellen Hunter are. Recording a time that would have had them 17th (out of 33) in the Men's event, the British riders today not only had a convincing World Record Gold medal win but also showed just how well they can handle their new tandem with a line around the track that most of the men the day before could only dream of. It was an awesome display by them and they did of course well deserve their Rainbow stripes and Gold medals.

Riders Reaction to come ...

1. MCGLYNN Aileen/HUNTER Ellen, GBR 1:10.795 (World Record)

2. WHITSELL Karissa/COMPTON Katherine USA 1:13.127

3. FUCHS Michaela/JOHN Sonja GER 1:15.490

4. PARSONS Jayne/LAURENSON Michelle, NZL 1:15.750

Well done, Aileen. Hello, beer !!

We (especially Dave and I) all knew you were capable of this win and you have proved it to yourself once again.

Average speed of about 32mph huh? No bad. Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

Dennis

Congratulations Aileen. It'll take me a while to catch you but I'll keep at it! :lol:

Morag

• Members

Congratulations Aileen, this latest result is testimony to your utmost dedication and the sacrifices you have made in your love of cycling.

In a year where drugs have dominated the headlines its good to see a rider who is completely clean not only competing at the highest level but breaking world records. If only the media would highlight the great achievements of people like you , the public faith in cycling superstars would be restored.

ps When you are making the Aileen Mcglynn life story movie , there will be a band of willing extras on hand for the Sunday bunch scenes ;-)

As a relatively new member to the club, I have been attending the confined TT's during the week. A few weeks ago I turned up for a Sunday morning club run and Aileen was one of the bunch, her morning run was mostly spent along with all the others waiting on me at the top of the slightest incline to catch up. I can now see that this stop start routine really paid off for Aileen on the track, and I am very proud of my contribution to Aileen's success!! Well done and congratulations. (To Aileen, not me.) :lol:

• 3 weeks later...