Bellahouston track

Jim thanks for the photo's of the new track it looks more like a go kart track . For all of us that can remember west horn ( London road) track well Bellahouston hasn't a patch on west horn even with its pot holes first time ive known a track to have a kerb around it . Lets hope Jim's photos are not doing the track justice. to quote( Star Trek ) track not as we know it not as we know it !!!

Robert, I'm being careful not to be too critical of the track because I know that a lot of work has gone into getting it to the stage it is at, but I have to agree with your sentiments a wee bit.

I first had a look at the track a month or so ago from the grassy hill overlooking it. Now, I am not an expert on velodromes only having seen one (Newport) in 30 years cycling and have never ridden one yet, but my first thoughts were, "where are the bankings?" Granted the diggers were still in and a lot had still to be done so I assumed that it was early days.Maybe the bankings are there and you have to be on the track to see them ;-)

I was a Bellahouston last weekend for the Youths circuit race and had a look at what stage it was at. And to answer your question, Yes, there is a kerb running round the inside. Whether this goes round all of the track or only on the bends I can't say, but should there be a kerb on a velodrome? It seems pretty obvious to me that for safety there should not be. Hopefully there is still work to be done that will sort that out. From initial anticipation of a great facility, I have to admit to an initial feeling of disappointment and the feeling that we may have missed a great opportunity here (hopefully not). Maybe I was expecting too much.

I will be involved with the Saturday sessions with the Glasgow Riderz youth club based there so we will see how things transpire.

Anyway, once the indoor velodrome is built we won't have to worry! :lol:

Cheers

Mick

• Members

Hi Guys , I have original engineering plans for track and will meet with Mick & Garry Quinn asap to try and solve the problems. What we have is not what we were promised ( I attended initial consultation & site meetings)and on safety grounds looks likely to be condemned as a suitable track for youths. Will keep you posted.

Kenny,

I have been keeping an eye on how the 'track' was developing for some months now as I hoped it would provide Track style racing and training without the need to drive from one side of the country to the other.

The inner kerb was one of the first features to be put in place and it immediately raised concerns with me which I brought up with Scottish Cycling staff who informed me that they were not involved in the financing of this track and had no say in its construction. I gather that there was some consultation with WOSCA and a few others but this consultation stretched to Glasgow city council telling all other interested parties what they were going to get and what they were not going to get. I also understand that there were a number of issues brought up which were ignored which included the banking(what banking?) an outer fence and the construction of the inner edging / drainage amongst other things.

I, like others, was really disappointed with what was being built as just like Bob Sharp, I felt that we were getting a Go Kart track which was not at all suitable for track cycle racing.

Who in their right mind would build a 4 inch edged kerb on a cycle race track and suggest that it did not present a danger to riders.

It might not be apparent at first glance but the outer edge is also bordered by a concrete retaining edge which I believe is supposed to be flush with turf which is being laid to the required height. I doubt that this will provide the ' safe' flush surface hoped for and I believe that this outside edge will be just that, a concrete edge!! which will also be a real danger to riders.

I contacted Glasgow city council and managed to speak to Alan McLean who is one of their two man 'cycling unit' and who is the individual responsible for spending our hard earned cash on this project. Mr McLean appears to be connected to the transport /land services of the council and has no direct connection to the Sport / leisure dept. I expressed my concerns that this track would be unsafe for any sort of competitive or even fast cycle riding in its current guise and and pointed out the kerbs as my main concern. Mr McLean told me that the decision to build the track in this manner was due to financial restrictions and in any case he did not agree that kerbs or concrete edges in a velo /racing track were a dangerous feature at all !!!!!! We didn't even get to banking or fences!!! (is it just me or does anyone else feel this is an issue ??)

After some discussion he accepted that perhaps there were some dangerous aspects in having kerbs in place but suggested that any danger could be easily and effectively eliminated by painting a line 2 metres from the inner kerb which he believed would prevent riders from hitting the kerb in the event of an accident.

I suggested that he should provide the details of this miracle paint to the roads department who could just dab a few lines up and down our motorways to keep cars from crossing the lanes, hard shoulders and crash barriers as a result of collisions. I also pointed out that if I stood on this 'protective 'paint line and fell directly back I would strike my head on said kerb probably injuring myself very badly or worse. Mr McLean informed me that he felt perhaps three metres from the kerb would be better. I understand that the track is seven metres wide and this would therefore leave just 4 metres width to race on ??? Given that the turns appear very sharp with no banking this would make for some very interesting racing and lots of overtime for the parks department for removing cycle debris from the surrounding area. Even spectators will require helmets at this track.

I explained to Mr McLean that I felt that he had built a Cycle race track that was not fit for purpose as it would be very lucky to pass the Health and safety inspection that I expect would be required before its use could be sanctioned. Mr McLean informed me that there was no chance of there being any changes and in any case this was not a cycle race track !! What he has built, he tells me, is a community cycling facility where kids and adults can learn to cycle their bikes for everyday use. He also suggested that the facility would be used by disabled athletes for wheelchair racing. (I would have thought that kerbs may have been problematic here too??) and at no time had he ever suggested that he was building anything other than that.

I wonder how much has been spent on this and on what grounds was this project funded ??

My belief is that this "track" could become a huge disappointment for cyclists in the west as well as a huge waste of public money unless changes are made.

I wonder what " Wee Jack" would make of all of this on the run up to our commonwealth games bid ? Maybe we should tell him???????

Jim B

Well scunnered.

:angryfire

Alan McLean (Is he now Ivy or Nightingale CC?) should know very well what constitutes a safe track - he's been racing for the 25 years that I've known him.

This IS NOT SAFE FOR RACING.

BANKING - Try drawing this out in a supermarket car park and see how fast you can go round a bend?

FENCE - Parks are used by dog walkers. Imagine the carnage when a yappy wee mutt hears the noise and sees the colours and movement and wants to become involved?

KERB - This is insane? How are you supposed to stop? At meadowbank, slow down, ride over the wooden drains onto the grass and stop safely. At Glasgow, do you go off of the outside of the track?????????

I'm going to forward the links to Jim Daly's photos to Chris Hoy and see if his comments would add any weight to the argument?

Gordon you'll remember West horn when it was in full swing the only danger there was the odd football.

I had a look on google earth to see if it was still there looks like a ploughed field now this was the Jimmy Mcginty training ground many a night was spent going round there with good coaching from Jimmy .

Towards it end a few pot holes just to add a bit of variety during the sprints .

but no kerbs no fence's

I got chased around Westhorn by a stolen Austin Maestro one night!!!!

I emailed Chris Hoy MBE with the track pics last night. Chris replied and said that he agreed it was a joke. He also said that he'd back any campaign to have it altered to form a "real" track.

Mark Young quotes the track as having 7degree banking. this equates to 49cm of a rise over the 7m width! It's nothing more than an expensive joke.

• 10 months later...
Guest Jim Daly

Kenny,

Can you elaborate on your reference to "the clubs track days"? :shock:

Would you recommend using track, fixed-road, or road bikes? :smash

Has the track been modified in any way, since last summer?

Cheers,

Jim

• Members

We are planning on having a couple of track nights or days at Bellahouston. We would hope to get people on fixed wheel for these events. The track is still the same , and campaigns to steepen banking are under way.If we show its being used it will convince council to continue its development.

Plant to have handicap races,pursuit ,deil , sprints etc

To all concerned as long as you don't have gears , mud guards , brakes , lights or anything that sticks out other than the rider you can ride it the rear drop outs at this level don't mean much , to make it easier bring with you a Frame Two wheels fixed type a Chain , Handle bars , Stem , Bottom bracket and Chain wheel 46 to 48 tooth on the back if you can pedal it bring it there your legs making sure all the component parts are assembled before turning up .

• 2 months later...