Shimano Dura Ace 11 speed cassette

Ian Holms

Last Saturday I sheared the 18T on my Shimano Dura Ace 11 speed cassette. I purchased this around 3 years ago when I retired, I think from Dooleys.

The 18T cog is attached by rivets to a central spider and these have sheared off. I think that I should be able to replace the spider but I would expect to have to drill the rivets out and then replace them. If it can be done !

A new shimano Dura Ace 11 speed cassette is around £150.00 !

If this can be repaired successfully then it would save me mega !

Any smart techy bike mechanics out there that might suggest possible solutions ?post-4139-0-42263800-1502136598_thumb.jpgpost-4139-0-74009600-1502136626_thumb.jpgpost-4139-0-42263800-1502136598_thumb.jpgpost-4139-0-74009600-1502136626_thumb.jpgpost-4139-0-12401700-1502136664_thumb.jpgpost-4139-0-84110700-1502136697_thumb.jpg

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ian

I can't open the pictures...but I have customised 11 speed cassettes so that I can insert a 16t sprocket to make up a 12-28 which is not available on ultegra. If you check out the shimano service manual I reckon you could buy the segment which I am guessing is 3 sprockets pinned together, I bought the spare sprockets I needed on eBay from Japan I think as that was only place I could get them. Having said all that you have nothing to lose by trying to repin the segment as I think that is the minimum you would need to buy anyway.

Cheers

• Members

There's a three-year guarantee on Dura Ace components, Ian. Are you definitely outwith that period?

Three-cog blocks with an 18t cog are available as spare parts. Shimano call them "sprocket units". Unfortunately, it looks like they cost nearly the same as a new cassette, and if you were to buy one and run the three new cogs with your existing used chain, there's a fair chance the chain would jump under load. :-/

I'd just take the hit and buy a new cassette and chain. :-( The repair option's seductive as a money-saving exercise, but if you somehow manage to re-pin the cog and it comes loose again when you're stamping down on the pedals, like as not you'll end up on bouncing down the road. I'm no' sure it's worth the risk.

Richard , Paul.

My gut feeling is as you say. Bite the bullet and buy new cassettes (3) and new chain.

I really do think a re rivet of the spider could be a dangerous option.

Searching you tube , it would appear Shimano Dura Ace 9000 11 speed had this as a design fault!

Of course the 9100 Dura Ace doesn't have this fault.

Cheers ,thanks for your input.

Now looking for best buy Ultegra cassettes + chain

• 3 months later...

Dooleys returned cassette to Madison and they said it was outwith 3yr warranty. Also they asked for a proof of purchase FFS who keeps receipts these days for any length of time.

Sale of goods act says faulty goods up to 6yrs are covered and a replacement should be given. Madison insisting on receipt!

Dooleys have no computerised system to track purchase.

Complaint ongoing.................