Confined event Time Trial League

AlanT

The club currently runs a number of confined event time trials across the spring and summer months. Some of these are handicapped events, meaning that it's not always the fastest rider that wins the award at the end of the season. Discussion after the Georgetown Cup open event indicated that there was some demand for a structured TT competition within the club. This proposal therefore outlines a Confined TT league that will reward the consistently fastest riders, and, hopefully, increase rider participation in the confined events. It should be noted that the existing awards will be completely unchanged. This will be an addition to what is already there, and in my view, will be experimental to gauge participation levels. There will be no actual physical prize at the end of the season, only the kudos of knowing that you are the most consistently fast male/female rider in Johnstone Wheelers.

The proposal is this:

The TT league shall consist of

1 restricted gear TT over 10 miles.

3 hilly TT each over 10 miles.

10 Chocolate series, each over 7.2 miles

8 league of 10 (including the Frank Lauder 10) each over 10 miles.

2 25 miles(run as part of the CTT events)

4 2up TT, each over 7.2 miles.

Points are awarded for the first 5 finishers on the basis of the distance raced, i.e. 7, 5, 4, 3, 2, for a 7.2 mile race, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5 for a 10 and 25, 23, 22, 21, 20 for a 25 mile race. 2 up points are awarded to each rider in the team on the same basis. 1 point is awarded for finishing. 2 points are awarded for timekeeping/holding/marshalling. 5 points are awarded for a PB on the course.

Crucially, points will be deducted for NOT helping, if a rider has taken part in more than 30% of races, based on the number of races undertaken, I.e. If a rider has taken part in 15 races, but has not done the helping out bit, they would lose 15 points when the points are added up at the end of the season.

The league will be open to male and female members, but not Jets(at least, not for this year). Jets will still be able to compete for the current awards.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a proposal for discussion. It is not a 'done deal'. If there is no support for it, it will go away. If there are differing opinions on any aspect of this proposal, post them up. We can have the discussion and then put a proposal forward to the committee.

Your thoughts and responses are welcome.

Alan

Alan, you sure on the 10 Chocolate events?

• 2023 Subscriptions

I took the count from last years list. Might be some tweaking this year, as I've had a request to move the 2ups championship to a Tuesday night. Only way to fit it in us to drop something else. Consultation will be out in due course.

• 2 months later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

I'll start a new thread on the TT league, but essentially, there's a point for finishing, a point for a PB, and 10, 8, 7, 6, 5 for the first five across the line. All points nullified for not helping out at some point during the season. Suffice to say that today's opening event has a surprise leader.....

• 2023 Subscriptions

I hope to make the Hilly TT on Saturday. My experience last year was the fields were very small, eg I think 5 folks did the Club 10m TT Champs. Have you thought of teaming up with Geoff Smith for some of the Georgetown events? Last year he was running a Wednesday night event - Alan Mcbride knows more about it...

• 2023 Subscriptions

Haven't thought about it for this year, but I guess it's an option for the membership to consider.

I guess the advantage is that there would be a bigger field therefore more competition for the confined event awards.

We already collaborate with CTT for the 25's so it's not a huge stretch.

The downside is that the slower riders may be put off competing, with the faster riders.