Sun 05/10/14 skinny roads, early start

Tony

Hi Folks

I'm going out for a few hours on Sunday morning and just wondered if anyone else might want to come along, as I could do with a bit of company. 

Here is the route that I am thinking of:

...it's mostly on unclassified singletrack roads (steep hills, rough surfaces, lots of gravel, farmyards, death-by-Collie etc). You can make up your own mind about what type of bike best suits these conditions. Personally I find a touring bike with 35mm semi-slicks and mudguards does the job for me. 

I'll be leaving Miller St at 0800 and aim to be back by 1100-1130. (No cafe stop). Post here if you are interested. 

Thanks

Tony

I remember the Laughing Group like it was yesterday Kenny...the rattle of mudguards...the distant thrum of tractor engines...the sweet smell of bovine effluent...

Unfortunately I get the impression that the majority of cyclists seem to prefer flatter, smoother roads. I find that hard to identify with - why anyone would exchange the solitude of the back-roads for the company of White Van Man and Ford Galaxy Woman I don't know, but many things are mysterious to me.

Tony,

You crack on. MacB is merely spinning your pedal.

If there are people wanting to do skinny roads, farm tracks and the like and want to to it under the JWCC umbrella then all power to them (and you). Its just another type of cycling and the club supports it.

M

• Members

Best training roads in Scotland are the Renfrewshire/Ayrshire back roads . Plenty of climbs  , drags , variety of surfaces etc etc improves bike handling and means every rider works hard at all times . Reminiscent of the Belgian pave and it turns out some half decent bike riders Ohyadancer!

As Mark says each to their own but its not the bike which counts its the rider on it that makes the difference.

If you train on a  basic winter bike , think of the difference when you go onto your good bike . Feels like you have been riding all winter with the brakes on .

Which reminds me of Stewart Duff who trained all winter in the dark on a bike taken out of a skip and to which  he fitted 2 bottle dynamos to the back wheel ( google them they are that old ) . He commuted 40 miles each way in dark to work . Most people couldnt have pedalled the bike more than 5 miles due to the resistance .

He did go on to break a few course records in his time Ohyadancer!  . His winter cross training was something else !!!!

Missed your post, Tony. But was at the Trossachs yesterday so would have missed it anyway

I miss the scent of bovine effluent and may look to join you in your next episode

KennyS

PS. Can I get dispensation for the use of a carbon fork and seat post if I bring my full muddies and possibly a rack?