Boxing Day - Falkirk Wheel

Iain Cowden

Mary, Kenny Christie and I are going to do this again (at least one way!), leaving Lock 27 at Temple at 9.30am (about half a mile north of Anniesland Cross).

If anyone is at a festive loose end and wants to join us, they are very welcome. A hybrid or cross bike Is probably best for the towpath, but a road bike is fine. I will use my fixed wheel. Hip flasks are encouraged but not mandatory!

Iain

Six of us made the run in the end. Mary, Alan, Chung, Hugh, Ken Mac and myself, Kenny C having indicated yesterday that he wouldn't make it this time.

We really got the best of weather and really nice light all the way. The towpath was very quiet early on, a bit busier on the return leg and generally fine for road tyres, with the exception of one muddier section just east of Kirkintilloch. Tho' the wheel cafe was closed, the Scottish Waterways, staff very helpfully let us use the toilets there. Alan, under time constraints turned just short of the Wheel - BTW Alan the "Kelpies" was the word for Scots seahorses/the new sculptures at the Wheel, which we couldn't quite remember!

A welcome stop at Greggs in Denny for coffee and food saw us ready for the run back. A couple of punctures and a minor mechanical aside, a great day out - nice to do something a bit different and to cycle outside again!

Thanks to all for turning out and the relaxed company - hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!

Iain