Dave Harris Memorial 200km Audax - Sun 15th Sept.

• 2 weeks later...

68 Entries, 13 starters on a 'beautiful' Sept morning!

'Sandblasted' for the first 50km in galeforce headwinds and rain to the first control at Tweedsmuir. Field had dropped to 11 by the time we reached the shelter of the viilage hall. A bacon roll and coffee never tasted so good. There was also enough food to feed the 68 'starters' (missed opportunity Chung.)

Next 35km took us over few climbs - Talla Reservoir, Megget Reservoir, St. Mary's Loch and Berrybush to second control at Tushielaw. Tough climbs, but descents great and would be better on a dry windless day!

Last main climb of the day over Witchie Knowe completed on the way to Peebles.

Roads great and scenery stunning through the clouds and mist (with a little imagination.)

Sun came out for the return leg to Rosewell for cake, soup, meat pie and more cake.

Had nothing left after 200km and about 8.5 hrs in the saddle.

Looking forward to the next Audax on 29th Sept...should be easier as it's a mere 160km...

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-412/

• Life Members

Alan,

You're a nutter (1 of 11)!

Vuelta A Espana 2013 - Entries 198 riders, 144 finisher - 73% cross the finish in Madrid.

Dave Harris Memorial - Entries 68 riders, 11 finisher - 16% cross the finish in Rosewell.

Statistically this is way harder than the Vuelta, and the Vuelta is the hardest GT according to some!

Respect, Alan!

P.S I spent all day yesterday indoors, however I did manage to put mudguards back on my bike having seen the weather outside! :grin:

Cheers

Chung

ALAN

CAN’T MAKE THAT AS IN ITALY ON HOLIDAY. I AM FREE ON SUNDAY 20TH OCTOBER IF YOU WISH TO DO THE 100KM ONE AT KIRKINTILLOCH WE WOULD CYCLE UP TO THE START AND BACK MAKES IT A BIT MORE INTERESTING JUST A THOUGHT. AFTER MY OCTOBER HOLIDAY ITS INTO THE WINTER WALKING SEASON, SO AM A WAY EVERY SECOND SUNDAY DOING THAT TROUGH TO THE END OF MARCH, APRIL SO DON’T HAVE MUCH TIME FOR CYCLING AT THE WEEKEND.

PROVISIONAL LIST FOR AUDAX’S NEXT YEAR ARE

200KM – MARCH - DAVE HARRIS NOW DATE AS YET

200KM - 5TH APRIL -

300KM - 19TH APRIL -

400KM - 17TH MAY -

300KM – 14TH JUNE -

600KM – 12TH JULY -

CAMPBELL