tri-bar length. what's legal?

Guest George

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Al made a comment that my tri-bars may be too long to comply with regulations. Does anyone know what the regulations say? I'm concerned I may get pulled up at the national 50 this Sunday. Ta.

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Kenny, thanks for that. It's a bit too "mathy" for my thick skull tho.

Basically, I'm on a 56cm frame & the extensions are 30cm.

Is this permissible?

• Members

Preface: I know nothing about this sort of thing.

Take a metal ruler/piece of wood etc and hold it against the bottom bracket axle, so that you've got a vertical plane, at right angles to the ground, running through the bottom bracket axle. Measure horizontally from the tip of the tri-bars to the metal ruler/piece of wood etc. Now measure the tri-bars and subtract this number from the first measurement. This distance can't be greater than 75cm. This number can't be greater than 75cm. (But where you measure to on the tri-bars seems to depend on what sort of shifters you've got.)

I think this must be the rule designed to prevent extreme Superman positions.

What an impossible-to-understand euro-babble document. It's as clear as mud, but I've had a lovely evening learning about TT rules. :shock:

75cm from BB centre to pivot of gear lever on extension on horizontal plane.

Alternative method is to position front wheel against wall. Measure from wall to BB and then lever to wall. Subtract one from other. Greater than 75cm means it's illegal and we strike all your times from club results ;-)

Unless, of course, you pass the UCI morphological test for tall riders. In which case you're allowed up to 80cm. No idea what this is though.

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

100cm from wall to bb.

20cm from pivot of lever to wall so would pass test for taller rider (if 6ft is a taller rider)

If I saw 5cm off bars to make 75cm it feels like I'm by upright & hanging off front of bars!

What do I do? Am I likely to get a hard time for this at national 50?

Meltdown!

• 2023 Subscriptions

DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS! But I am pretty certain that Scottish Cycling has not fully adopted all the TT technical regulations yet. i.e. - I don't think they enforce them, although I haven't ridden at a nationals for years.

I do know that Sean Childs had to borrow a bike for the British TT last week, as his is not compliant, which means that he rides all other Scottish races on his own non compliant bike.

If it was me, I would ride on what I have.

George, if you are worried then email Jannette Hazlett at SC (although she will probably advise to make sure you are compliant).

• Members

So, say you're 6'4", and you're riding a bike with a 60cm virtual top tube - that means you only have an additional 15cm of tri-bar extension to play with - 20cm tops, if you claim the morphological exemption. It seems to me like the taller you are, the more this rule places you at a disadvantage.

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Richard-I saw a guy on a cervelo P5 last week. The triathlon non compliant one.

No-one batted an eyelid. Also seen guys with non compliant aero helmets, really just fairings with straps on.

The uci also states you must have bar-tape. If you look at the photos of riders in domestic TT's that cycling weekly covers you'll see hat hardly anyone does.

As for the height issue, I imagine Pat McQuaid is 5ft 6!

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Just got an update from chap on braveheart.

SC currently non uci compliant. If it stays this way til Sunday lunchtime I'm ok :)

Does anyone know the UCI stance on Syria?

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Ramsay, the organiser didn't receive my initial entry so I posted off a duplicate which he confirmed receipt of.

Well spotted, I'm not on the start sheet but I have been in touch & he informs me that I will be no63.

He has mistakenly put no63-Scott Newman down twice.

I'm looking forward to it but also dreading it :)

Thanks for all your answers, guys!