technical question

ginty001

Yes

But it depends on a couple of issues

First being amount of slack in your cables

I stripped tape of old handle bars slackened levers removed bars and stem put levers on new bars then on new stem just keep an eye on the cable run when righting everything up

Takes a bit of time and depends on whether cables are routed externally or internally

• Members

You'd normally be talking about loosening off cables rather than replacing or removing them completely, Ian. It depends on how much cable you've got to play with and how extreme the changes are. Subtle stem changes can normally be made without even slackening off cables (I did it myself last night - a 73 degree stem on for an 84 degree stem.) Extreme alterations might mean new cable housing. Going from a 90mm/73 degree stem to a 130mm/84 degree stem, for example, could cause problems. Like Billy says, it depends on the length the cables have been cut to in the first instance.

Do you want to swap your levers onto a new set of bars, too? That's likely to be more involved. (I assume we're talking about modern integrated shifters that route the cables under the bar tape.) You'd have to strip off the bar tape and free the cables from the bar - they'll be taped onto it. Again, depending on how much cable you've got to play with, the type of lever, and how deep the bars are, you might be able to get the levers off without loosening any cables. It's an easier job if you do free up the cables, though.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks chaps,

Okay, going from 110 stem to 90 stem and from larger drops to slighlty smaller ones, so cable lenght shouldn't be to much of an issue, if anything I'll need to trim them a wee bit when i'm done... will give cables the once over, but I'm sure i replaced them last summer so should still be in pretty good nick.... so i think i'll give it a go before purchase of new cables...its on my commute bike, so will just be doing it when i can find the time...

I like your thinkin Rossco, but i couldn't afford another divorce :grin: