Advice on lights

Jodyc

Hello all hope you all had a good time over the festivities.

I'm looking for some advice on lights. Not been out on the bike as much as I would have liked, didn't realise how much time the wee fella would take up. The most I'm really using the bike is for commuting, due to this I'm cycling on some roads through Erskine, old Greenock etc that have no street lighting whatsoever when its pitch black. I have a standard LED on the front but was thinking of making the leap into rechargeable lights for a bit more visibility for both the road and me.

I have had a look online and there seems so many lights covering all price ranges. I found these and were wondering if anyone had them or new if they were any good

http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/accessories-c1/lights-c62/front-c63/tumble-fall-pro-1200-lumen-light-set-p28820

http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/accessories-c1/lights-c62/front-c63/tumble-fall-pro-1600-lumen-lightset-p28849

I don't really want to break the bank when it comes to buying the lights but I have a birthday coming up that might give someone an idea of what to get me and after all when it comes to safety I don't mind paying that wee bit more within reason.

Ps sorry if there is already about this but not really had a chance to get on the forum much lately nevermind search through all the old threads.

Any help advice would be much appreciated.

Jody

Jody,

No need to spend that much on lighting. I have one of these 900 lumen! which I paid considerably more for btw; http://www.ebuyer.co...ike-light-mj808

I use it for commuting on unlit roads. It performs admirably, in fact on full beam I get flashed by oncoming drivers, best to have it slightly pointing downwards.

Alot of MTB types swear by them too.

Magicshine, all the light you'll need.

I have Magicshine as well, albeit they were a bit more expensive and a bit more powerful. I also plumped for the heavier duty battery. I travel the cycle path from lochwinnoch when it is completely dark and the lights are great. Only snag is when I reach civilisation and street-lit roads there is no flashing option and they tend to dazzle oncoming cars so I have to use my Cat-eye back up light on flashing mode. Lights into second year with no issues.

Len

Thanks Len,

I think that's it decided ill need to leave the laptop and iPad open on the Magicshine website and see if the good lady will act on some extremely subtle hints :-)

What's this about a different battery, is this something else I need to consider now ???

Jody

Thanks for the reply Len,

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay and where did you buy it from ???

Been googling them a fair bit and apart from the magicshine website(quite a bit dearer) I can't find any site that will let you pick a battery.

Jody

• 2 weeks later...

Think was Lights Lights Lights or similar. Mine was about £100 2 years ago. I got a cheap unbranded set off eBay for the boy for 15 second hand but unused. Think they are about 30 new. Tried them recently and they are incredibly bright. Might not last long though. Time will tell.

Cheers Len, just had a look and the lights seem a pretty decent price and its not that dear to upgrade the battery ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Just need to drop the hints and leave the website open on the laptop and ipad for birthday ideas 😂😂😂

Jody