30 milers - 5th August 2012

GrahamF

• 2023 Subscriptions

As discussed on ferry last week, I'm planning a trip to Kilcreggan this week.

The plan is to leave Miller St. at 0900 as usual and head over the bridge, though Dumbarton, Helensburgh and Gairlochhead to Kilcreggan, get the ferry to Gourock, then back to Miller St. or straight home.

The ferry leaves Kilcreggan at 12:39, 14:39 and 16:39 on Sundays, I've checked with the ships master and he says he will have enough space to take everyone! (He has previously had 13 bikes on board, and has room for more. Apparently its quiet on Sundays which will help.)

To take advantage of the 30 milers expertise at formation riding and to fit the ferry times, I have worked out a schedule:

09:00 Miller St.

09:45 9m Erskine Bridge

10:15 15m Dumbarton

10:55 24m Helensburgh

11:20 29m Garelochhead

12:15 39m Kilcreggan - Good time for the ferry at 12:39

Ferry tales 15 minutes and costs £2.35 one way.

There are cafe options at Garelochhead and Kilcreggan, and after a stop we could expect to comfortably catch the 14:39 ferry, or if we've worked hard and are in good time the 12:39 one.

Greenock to Miller St. is 18 miles making the circuit 56 in all. (Well within the usual 30 miles plus or minus range that gives the group its name!)

Graham.

Hi Graham

I'm not keen on going North of the river for various reasons, but will tag along with you as far as the Erskine Bridge then head for the Inverclyde hills. So I'll be doing a variant on this:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/939426

...possibly with some extra miles added on. No cafe stop. Anyone else who is short of time feel free to join me if you want.

Thanks

Tony

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks to Graham for coordinating todays run. Bunch was up to about 20 after Helensburgh when the Balfron Team joined in. Good time made to the cafe stop at Kilgreggan and arrived ahead of ferry schedule. Hope Chung and co made it home safely and dry as the remaining bunch got drookit after Bridge of Weir. Well done to all.

Dave Hello, beer !!