Social Ride Sunday 8th July

Iain Cowden

Hi Folks - From the list put together earlier in the season, I am down to find a route starting from Pollok Park heading out Strathaven way. It is a scenic ride , mostly on quiet B roads (always avoiding the busy EK/Strathaven road) and potentially a bit of a change for people, around 50 miles - there is a fine cafe in Strathaven!

Anyway, I'm very happy to be routemaster if anyone still fancies the run. If folk would rather do something else that's fine, I'll do my own thing as usual!

I'm away from tonight till Friday but will check here on my return for interest. If anyone fancies the change of scene, please post here.

Thanks

Iain

• 2023 Subscriptions

Iain, I'm planning on doing this run. However, my plans could be disrupted by the imminent arrival of a new grandchild - due at the beginning of this week. All going well, I should be there. Where in Pollock Park, and what time are you hoping to start?

I'll probably cycle up from Paisley if anybody is coming from that direction and wants some company. I'll post again on Saturday to confirm.

I am now back from my month down South and cannot wait to get back in the saddle. I too will be leaving from Paisley so could meet up at the old Dobbies on Barrhead Road for those heading out to the RV at Pollock Park. Let me know if this suits anyone. I can be contacted on 0778 8269673. Hope to see a good group out on Sunday.

No worries folks! Tony - hope to catch up soon!

Boyd/Matt - will be nice to meet up again! Suggest 9.45am outside the main entrance to the Burrell.

If others fancy joining up please post. For anyone driving over, I think there is still free parking at the rear of Pollok House (The Burrell car park charges).

Will check here tomorrow/early Sunday re numbers - otherwise see you then.

Iain

Iain, I'm planning on doing this run. However, my plans could be disrupted by the imminent arrival of a new grandchild - due at the beginning of this week. All going well, I should be there. Where in Pollock Park, and what time are you hoping to start?

I'll probably cycle up from Paisley if anybody is coming from that direction and wants some company. I'll post again on Saturday to confirm.

Hi I'm heading from paisley too...

Don

• 2023 Subscriptions

Matt / Don,

I suggest meeting, as Matt suggested, at the old Dobbie's at the junction of Hawkhead Rd and Barrhead road at 9:00. We can head up through the Hurlet / Barrhead Rd / Pollockshaws Rd / Haggs Rd - should take about 30 minutes or so to get to the Burrell.

A group of nine of us set off from Pollok Park - Bill T, Mary, Don, Matt, Domenic, Hugh, Chung, Boyd and myself. Boyd undaunted by the family's latest arrival but on short time consequently!

I will give a quick place-name resume of the route: out thru' Thornliebank, up the side of Rouken Glen park to the Ayr road, then up thru' Broom estate/Mearns Castle and down to Waterfoot, crossing over the main road to reach Jackton, skirting Thorntonhall. From there briefly on the main road towards Eaglesham, before skirting EK to reach Auldhouse. Boyd parted company with at Jackton to return via Eaglesham. From Auldhouse we climbed over Ardoch Rigg by the side of Whitelees wind farm to descend on to the high Galston road before turning off via Loudon Hill to cross the Strathaven/Darvel road to the south to reach the former HMP Dungavel. From there, back towards Strahaven, then north onto the Roman road, to reach Sandford, skirting Stonehouse, then up to Glassford before descending to Strathaven and a well earned cafe stop!

On return we skirted round the airfield, taking a relatively flat and direct route to Auldhouse to retrace our steps. At Broom the group divided in two with Don, Matt and I heading over to Paisley via Mearns Cross and the Barrhead dams, and the others returning to the soo'side/ Pollok park.

Early drizzle disappeared after Auldhouse and we were able to enjoy something of the scenery! My apologies if my loose grasp of time and distance made it a longer run than anticipated! My stats (with the add on Paisley loop) were as follows 71.7 miles door to door, 2,574 calories expended, Av speed of 14.5 mph and av cadence of 84. I'd say that was pretty respectable pace for a pretty lumpy route.

We were a happy and relaxed group - folk seemed to enjoy it. We had a bit of a chase up the more significant climbs, always re-grouping to keep the bunch together and setting a pace generally to suit us all. I certainly know I've had a workout! Only sour note of the day was a close encounter on the way back with a reckless 4 x4 speeding driver on a B road near Jackton - fair play to the riders at the front - I think Chung and one of the young guys - a good clear shout and tidy evasive action/braking.

Nice to spend time with some new and some familiar faces! Also, to meet two of the fabled "Lost Boys" properly! These young guys can climb whatever else!

It is always nice to share some of your favourite wee roads with others - thanks to all for turning out! Some talk of something similar/ variation at a later date - happy to do so as suits folk.

Iain

• Life Members

Great run today via some lovely scenic route!

Apart from the aforementioned stupid 4x4, we didn't encountered much traffic. Always nice when you're out on a Sunday run!

Thanks to Iain for picking the route & giving detail description of what hazard there was ahead on the road, allowing us plenty of time to adjust & ride safely.

There was some nice wee climbs to test the youngster who's recent Ireland cycling trip provided them good training for all this.

Cheers Iain & everyone, more of the same please! Hello, beer !!

P.S Congratulation to Boyde on being a grand-dad for the second time! Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Pity I had to break out early, it was shaping up to be a really good run with a nice size of group. I finished with just over 50 miles on the clock and still got through to Livingston in time to meet up with a lovely little boy-with-no-name (yet). Apart from the decision on the name, everything is fine with mother and son.

Thanks to Iain for organizing something a bit different for the group.

Boyd